Regenerative Healing: Lee Spievak Re-Grows Finger Tip

• Medical
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, a man named Lee Spievack sliced off half an inch of his finger in an accident and used a special powder to re-grow the tip in just four weeks. This powder has shown potential for promoting healing of flesh wounds and burns, but its effectiveness for amputated limbs is yet to be determined. Clinical trials are being conducted to further evaluate its capabilities.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You might become a believer in the power of magic dust, when you see how a special powder re-grew the tip of Lee Spievack's finger.

He sliced off a half inch of his finger in the propeller of a hobby shop airplane. His finger never even formed a scar.

"Your finger grew back flesh, blood, vessels and nail?" CBS News correspondent Wyatt Andrews reports.

"Four weeks," Spievak said. [continued]
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/07/eveningnews/main3805318.shtml

Biology news on Phys.org
Absolutely wondrous.

I can't get any of their videos to work for some reason. Drat! I wanted to see the finger more clearly for myself, just to get an idea of how much it regrew and how normal it looks. I'm also curious if his injury involved the bone, or just the fleshy part of the tip, and whether he has normal sensation in the fingertip now. Basically, just trying to get an idea of the limitations and expectations to have for it.

From what's been described in the news story, it sounds hopeful as something to promote healing of flesh wounds, burns, etc. I'm not sure if it's going to be as promising for amputated limbs as the article is claiming, but really, even if it can promote some healing and tissue growth around the base of the stump for a more comfortable prosthetic fit, I think that would be a positive accomplishment for amputees.

Edit: Finally got the videos to work. Okay, confirmed some of my suspicions. The guy did not sever off the entire nail base...in the story, he said about an 1/8 inch was still left of the nail. That means we don't know that this stuff has any effect on nail growth, because the part of the finger where the nail grows was still intact. It will be interesting to see the results of the clinical trials and the extent to which it really works to promote healing as opposed to scarring. it's interesting that the guy who used it talks about other things he did in the interview, such as keeping the wound open and not using antibiotics...what if his success was simply due to good care in keeping out infection while keeping the wound open and free of antibiotics, things that are rarely done with such an injury?

Last edited:

What is regenerative healing?

Regenerative healing is the process by which damaged or missing tissues in the body are repaired or replaced, leading to the restoration of normal function.

How did Lee Spievak re-grow his finger tip?

Lee Spievak's finger tip was re-grown through a process called "pixie dust" or "extracellular matrix," which is a protein-rich substance found in the body that helps promote tissue growth and regeneration.

Is regenerative healing a new concept?

No, regenerative healing has been studied and practiced in various forms for centuries. However, recent advancements in technology and medicine have allowed for more sophisticated and successful methods of regenerative healing.

What are some potential applications of regenerative healing?

Regenerative healing has the potential to treat a wide range of conditions and injuries, including bone fractures, cartilage damage, nerve damage, and organ damage. It may also be used in cosmetic procedures such as skin rejuvenation.

Are there any risks associated with regenerative healing?

As with any medical procedure, there are some potential risks associated with regenerative healing, such as infection, allergic reactions, and improper tissue regeneration. However, these risks can be minimized through proper screening and monitoring by a trained medical professional.

Back