Stopping Distance Homework Help Needed

In summary, a student is seeking help with a piece of coursework on the topic of stopping distance and its relation to speed. They are studying AS level data analysis and are looking for resources or guidance on how to calculate stopping distance given information such as mass, kinetic energy, and speed. They have shared some previous work, but it does not include necessary data.
robandrew06

Homework Statement

Hi,our teacher has just given us piece of coursework like two weeks before exams. This piece seems hadrer than the iothers and i really need some help!

For the krux of it I need to know the physics behind stopping distance being related to speed. Can anyone offer some help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, robandrew. Please note that, for homework and coursework questions, you are required to show your work before we can help you. However in this case, since you are not exactly asking for homework help, it would suffice to mention some further details regarding what level you are studying, what prior knowledge you have for this topic, or any other information that you can.

I could, for example, give you some websites (like hyperphysics http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/crstp.html) but I don't know whether they would help.

Finally, I've moved this to intro physics HW forums, where it belongs.

Hi, I am currently doing AS level data analysis course work.

I have a link of the work I have done so far, but I basically need to know how to work out stopping distance of a trolley released from a slop.e If I know the mass of trolley, and the kinetic energy and speed etc how do ui workl out the stopping distance?

thankyou!

Attachments

• physicsforums..doc
    85.5 KB · Views: 240
I don't see any graphs in there that you have a slope from which to calculate anything. Could you shed some light on this?

There were two threads started in General Physics, so I have merged them here.

Evo said:
There were two threads started in General Physics, so I have merged them here.

Shows how bad my memory is: I can't even remember two days ago!

1. What is stopping distance?

Stopping distance is the total distance a vehicle travels from the moment the driver applies the brakes until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

2. What factors affect stopping distance?

The main factors that affect stopping distance are the speed of the vehicle, road conditions, and the reaction time of the driver.

3. How is stopping distance calculated?

Stopping distance can be calculated by adding the thinking distance (the distance the vehicle travels during the driver's reaction time) and the braking distance (the distance the vehicle travels while the brakes are applied).

4. Can stopping distance be reduced?

Yes, stopping distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe speed, regularly checking and maintaining your vehicle's brakes, and being aware of road conditions and potential hazards.

5. Why is it important to understand stopping distance?

Understanding stopping distance is crucial for safe driving as it helps drivers anticipate and react to potential hazards on the road. It also helps drivers maintain a safe following distance and avoid collisions.