Calculating Apollo 13 Command Module Drag Coefficient

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the drag coefficient for the Apollo 13 command module during re-entry. The important factors include the entry-interface, drogue chute deployment, and the equation Cd=drag/(.5*pAV^2). The conversation also mentions the use of numerical integration and an iterative process to solve for the coefficient of drag, which is necessary for a successful re-entry.
petitericeball
So, after looking at all the stuff those geniuses up at NASA came up with, I'm trying to figure out how to get the drag coefficient for the Apollo 13 command module reentry.

Heres the stuff I thought were important:

Entry-interface
400,000 ft
36,129fps

Drogue chutes deploy at 23,000 ft, slowing module down from 300mph to 175 mph.

So, 300mph is 1584000fph or 26400 fps. So, 36,129fps - 26400fps = 9729fps.

If the Ei is at 0:00 then the Drogue chutes open at 8:16, or 496 seconds, divide 9729 by 496 and you get the speed lost per second, which would be 19.61fps.

The equation is Cd=drag/(.5*pAV^2)

I have no idea where to go next. I don't know how to convert what I have into drag, and the density of the fluid is always changing. I have a chart that shows the relation between altitude and air density, but I can't find a way to put all of it in without doing a new equation for each step in altitude. So both velocity and air density would be constantly changing, the only constants are the .5 and the A.

This project is due on Thursday, so any help would be awesome.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have more unknowns here, the re-entry angle, and the mass of shuttle, plus the coefficient of drag which you're trying to determine, all of which affect the path. The density of the atmosphere versus altitude is available at a few web sites, typically there are 3 equations used, depending on the altitude. The path is a complex curve, making it more difficult to numerically solve. You'll need to use numerical integration, such as Runge Kutta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runge-Kutta

If your trying to solve for coefficient of drag, I can only think of an iterative process that makes an initial guess, then "binary" searches (trying higher / lower steps in drag) until the results match the speed versus altitude versus time at the two known points.

Note that NASA knew in advance what the coefficient of drag was, since they don't get to do repeated re-entries to determine re-entry angles for the capsule to end up within a desired target zone.

On a side note, the Lunar Module had a plutonium button / thermal condcutor power source, and this is the only one ever to return to Earth (it's now at the bottom of some ocean, probably still generating electricity).

Last edited:

Calculating the drag coefficient for the Apollo 13 command module reentry is a complex task, and it requires a deep understanding of aerodynamics and fluid mechanics. However, I can provide some guidance on how to approach the problem.

First, let's start by defining the drag coefficient (Cd). It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the aerodynamic drag force acting on an object, in this case, the Apollo 13 command module. It is dependent on the shape, size, and surface properties of the object, as well as the fluid (in this case, air) it is moving through.

The equation you mentioned, Cd=drag/(.5*pAV^2), is correct. However, in order to calculate the drag coefficient, we need to know the drag force (drag), air density (p), frontal area (A), and velocity (V).

The drag force can be calculated using the formula drag= 0.5 * p * V^2 * Cd * A. This is known as the drag equation. As you mentioned, the air density is constantly changing with altitude, and this needs to be taken into account in the calculations.

To simplify the calculation, we can divide the reentry into two stages- before and after the deployment of the drogue chutes. Before the deployment of the drogue chutes, the drag force acting on the command module is the sum of the forces due to the shape of the module and the atmospheric drag. After the deployment of the drogue chutes, the drag force is primarily due to the drogue chutes and the shape of the module.

To calculate the drag coefficient for the first stage, you will need to estimate the frontal area of the command module and use the drag equation to calculate the drag force. You can use the given velocity and air density values at the entry interface to do this.

For the second stage, you will need to estimate the frontal area of the drogue chutes and use the drag equation to calculate the drag force. You can use the given velocity and air density values at the altitude of 23,000 ft to do this.

Once you have calculated the drag forces for both stages, you can use the equation Cd=drag/(.5*pAV^2) to calculate the drag coefficient for each stage. The average of these two values will give you an estimate of the overall drag coefficient for the Apollo 13 command module reentry.

I understand that this may seem like

What is the purpose of calculating the Apollo 13 Command Module drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a measure of the resistance a body experiences when moving through a fluid, such as air. In the case of the Apollo 13 Command Module, calculating the drag coefficient is important for determining the amount of drag the spacecraft will experience during re-entry into Earth's atmosphere. This information is crucial for ensuring a safe and successful re-entry.

What factors affect the Apollo 13 Command Module drag coefficient?

There are several factors that can affect the drag coefficient of the Apollo 13 Command Module. These include the shape and size of the module, the angle of attack (the angle at which it enters the atmosphere), and the properties of the air, such as density and temperature.

How is the Apollo 13 Command Module drag coefficient calculated?

The drag coefficient is calculated using a combination of experimental data and theoretical equations. The module's shape and size are measured and used to determine its frontal area. Then, wind tunnel tests are conducted to gather data on the module's drag force at different speeds and angles of attack. This data is then used to calculate the drag coefficient using the appropriate equations.

What is the typical drag coefficient for a spacecraft like the Apollo 13 Command Module?

The drag coefficient for a spacecraft can vary depending on its design, but for a typical capsule-shaped module like Apollo 13, the drag coefficient is around 1.2. This means that for every square meter of the module's frontal area, it experiences a drag force that is 1.2 times the force of the air pushing against it.

How accurate are drag coefficient calculations for the Apollo 13 Command Module?

The accuracy of drag coefficient calculations for the Apollo 13 Command Module can vary depending on the quality of the experimental data and the complexity of the theoretical equations used. However, with careful calibration and validation of the equations, the calculated drag coefficient can be accurate to within a few percentage points.