Approximating PI: Improving Arctan (1/√3) Approximation

• Thread starter linyen416
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, by using an arctan power series, an approximation for arctan (1/root 3) can be obtained, leading to an approximation for pi. This can be improved by using a more efficient method, such as Machin's formula, which involves calculating the arctangent of rational numbers that converge more quickly.
linyen416
by writing arctan as a power series, you can obtain an approximation to arctan (1/root 3) and hence approximate pi. I've done this by multiplying my answer for arctan (1/root3) by 6 to get 3.14... radians.

I would like to know How can this approximation be improved?

thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
linyen416 said:
by writing arctan as a power series, you can obtain an approximation to arctan (1/root 3) and hence approximate pi. I've done this by multiplying my answer for arctan (1/root3) by 6 to get 3.14... radians.

I would like to know How can this approximation be improved?

thanks!

This is an interesting question because in order to calculate the approximate value of pi by using an arctan series, you first need to calculate the value of the arctan by using an infinite series.

The power series for arctan (x) is:

x – x^3/3 + x^5/5 – x^7/7 . . .

The only problem I see with your method is your choice of x as being 1 / sqrt 3. This is itself an irrational number so you would first need to either know its value to many decimal places, or calculate that from another infinite series such as the binomial expansion, which greatly complicates your work.

I would recommend you follow the example of William Shanks who spent some twenty years on this problem from 1853 to 1873! He used an equation known as Machin’s formula which is based on the value of two arctangents;

pi/4 = 4 arctan (1/5) – arctan (1/239).

This has the advantage that the values of x are at least rational numbers and they are both small numbers so the series converges quickly. A good exercise for a rainy day!

1. What is PI and why is it important to approximate it?

PI (π) is a mathematical constant that represents the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter. It is an irrational number, meaning it has an infinite number of decimal places. Approximating PI is important because it is used in various mathematical calculations and has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and geometry.

2. How is PI typically approximated?

PI is typically approximated using the infinite series expansion of the arctangent function. This involves summing a series of terms, each of which contains the inverse tangent of a fraction. The more terms that are included in the summation, the more accurate the approximation becomes.

3. What is the approximation for arctan(1/√3)?

The approximation for arctan(1/√3) is 0.5235987756 radians or approximately 30 degrees.

4. How can the approximation for arctan(1/√3) be improved?

The approximation for arctan(1/√3) can be improved by using the Machin formula, which involves subtracting or adding the arctangent of various fractions to the original approximation. This can lead to a more accurate result with fewer terms in the series.

5. What are the benefits of improving the arctan(1/√3) approximation?

Improving the arctan(1/√3) approximation can lead to a more accurate value for PI, which can be useful in various calculations and applications. It can also provide a better understanding of the mathematical concept and the relationships between different trigonometric functions.