Experimenting with a Pendulum: Damping & Plotting Graphs

In summary, the conversation is about an experiment on a pendulum and the question of how to find the damping coefficient. The person has reached a second order differential equation and is asking if they can plot a graph and solve for the damping coefficient. The other person explains that the differential equation can be solved using the quadratic equation, giving solutions in the form of C1e(at)(D1cos(bt)+ D2sin(bt)). They also mention the need for initial conditions to determine D1 and D2.
amppatel
I am doing an experiment on the pendulum, and i wanted to do something on the damping, i understand a little as i have done some reading on it, the picture attached show the working i have done, i have reached a second order DE and i know little about this. So my question is, can you plot a graph? and how can you find out the damping co efficent, i have some results i have measured the amplitude every other half oscilation.

Attachments

• Pendulum.jpg
    Pendulum.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 581
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, you have mx"+ (k/m)x'+ nx= 0. That's a linear homogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, about the simplest possible equation. If you "try" a solution of the form x= ert, you arrive at the characteristic equation:
mr2+ (k/m)r+ n= 0. That is a quadratic equation and can be solved by the quadratic equation, giving r= a+bi and a- bi which means that the solutions to the differential equation are of the form C1e(a+ bi)t+ C2e(a-bi)t which can in turn be written eat(D1cos(bt)+ D2sin(bt)). You must have some initial conditions to determine D1 and D2.

ok so i get that, abit, but does that allow me to plot a curve? or can i solve the equation for k?

also eat(D1cos(bt)+ D2sin(bt)) what is that equal to? zero? Thanks for all your help

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a simple apparatus that consists of a weight suspended from a fixed point, allowing it to swing back and forth.

2. What is damping in relation to a pendulum?

Damping is the gradual decrease in the amplitude of a pendulum's swing due to the effects of friction and air resistance.

3. How can I measure the damping of a pendulum?

To measure the damping of a pendulum, you can record the amplitude of its swings over time and observe how it decreases. This can be done by taking measurements with a ruler or using a sensor connected to a computer.

4. How do I plot a graph for a pendulum experiment?

To plot a graph for a pendulum experiment, you can use the recorded data of the pendulum's amplitude and time measurements. The amplitude should be on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. Use a graphing software or manually plot the points on a graph paper.

5. What factors can affect the damping of a pendulum?

The damping of a pendulum can be affected by factors such as the length of the pendulum, the weight of the pendulum's bob, the air resistance, and the type of material used for the pendulum's string or rod. Other external factors such as temperature and humidity can also affect the damping of a pendulum.