What is the formula of ellipse in 3D space

In summary: I have a feeling that there is a name for it, but I can't recall the term. Anyway, it has been a very long time since I talked about projections, so let's leave it at this for now.In summary, an ellipse in 3D space cannot be described by a single equation since it is a curve and therefore requires two equations to define it. The equations will vary depending on the orientation of the ellipse, making it difficult to have a general formula.
fatjjx
the regular ellipse formula in 2D is x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1. but how can it be transformed into a 3D formula including the parameter of z?

thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Try thinking in the other direction:
Would an ellipse in ONE dimension be (x^2)/(a^2)=1 ?

Do you accept that an ellipse in TWO dimensions is (x^2)/(a^2)+(y^2)/(b^2)=1 ?

Now how would you use three dimensions?

you are right! but what is the 3D formula of a ellipse??
that is the real problem. thank you! :)

symbolipoint said:
Try thinking in the other direction:
Would an ellipse in ONE dimension be (x^2)/(a^2)=1 ?

Do you accept that an ellipse in TWO dimensions is (x^2)/(a^2)+(y^2)/(b^2)=1 ?

Now how would you use three dimensions?

what about (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) + (z^2/c^2)=1 ? (intuitive)

However, the equation of a circle in 3D is always defined by the equation of a sphere and the plane which cuts it. The sliced portion is the required circle. So it may be a similar case with the ellipse. Something like one half of a cone being sliced by a plane.

It's probably not best to tell the OP to guess the formula from a pattern and say that its just "intuitive". One could just as well presume that since in one dimension x/a =1, and in 2 dimensions (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1 that following the pattern into 3 dimensions is obviously (x/a)^3 + (y/b)^3 + (z/c)^3 = 1. We could probably think up a more stupid one as well.

Fatjjx - What you want to describe is an "Ellipsoid" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid

Basically, you start off with the equation of a Sphere, which is easy to derive using the Pythagorean theorem, and then you apply Linear Transformations, which in this case are just squeezing and stretching the sphere to make an ellipsoid.

Gib Z said:
It's probably not best to tell the OP to guess the formula from a pattern and say that its just "intuitive". One could just as well presume that since in one dimension x/a =1, and in 2 dimensions (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1 that following the pattern into 3 dimensions is obviously (x/a)^3 + (y/b)^3 + (z/c)^3 = 1. We could probably think up a more stupid one as well.

Fatjjx - What you want to describe is an "Ellipsoid" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsoid

Basically, you start off with the equation of a Sphere, which is easy to derive using the Pythagorean theorem, and then you apply Linear Transformations, which in this case are just squeezing and stretching the sphere to make an ellipsoid.
Did he mean ellipse or ellipsoid? The former is a 2D curve in 3D space whereas the latter is a 3D surface.

He already knew the equation of an ellipse, so I assumed he want to know the equation of an ellipsoid.

I'm not too sure if he knows the formula of an ellipse curve in 3D space if the ellipse is not lying on the x-y plane. He may be referring to that. Unfortunate I don't know the general expression if it's not confined to the x-y plane either, but I found this:
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/66054.html

indeed, what I want is just an ellipse in a 3D space, not the ellipsoid. I am doing the research of how the projection of a ellipse that is not parallel with the image plane will be. so I need the ellipse formula in 3D space. thank you for your response!

Gib Z said:

An ellipse is a curve- a one dimensional object. That means that an ellipse in 3 dimensions cannot be written as a single equation: each equation reduces the "degrees of freedom",i.e, dimension, by 1: 3- 1= 2 so any single equation in 3 dimensions gives a two dimensional object- as surface, such as the ellipsoid Gib Z gave. To define an ellipse in 3 dimensions you will need two equations in x, y, z. For example the equations [tex]x^2/a^2+ y^2\b^2= 1[/tex] and z= 0 define an ellipse in the xy-plane but [tex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2= 1[/tex], z= 1 define an elliplse lying in the z= 1 plane. Ellipses at a tilt to any of the coordinate axes will be harder to write. You might try, for example, giving the equation of a cone such as [tex]z^2= x^2+ y^2[/itex] together with a plane like 3x+ 4y- z= 4. Together those define an ellipse. And, of course, you could write x, y, and z in terms of some single parameter t.

According to HallsOfIvy discussion in post #10, my response in post #2 is wrong. My response would apply to the ellipsoid, not the ..., whatever you would call, ...? What do you call an ellipse projected perpendicularly to a plane?

1. What is the general formula for an ellipse in 3D space?

The general formula for an ellipse in 3D space is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 + (z/c)^2 = 1, where 'a', 'b', and 'c' are constants representing the lengths of the semi-major axis, semi-minor axis, and the axis perpendicular to the plane of the ellipse, respectively.

2. How is the equation for an ellipse in 3D space different from that in 2D space?

The equation for an ellipse in 3D space is similar to that in 2D space, except it includes an additional term for the z-axis. In 2D space, the equation is (x/a)^2 + (y/b)^2 = 1, where 'a' and 'b' are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

3. What is the significance of the constants 'a', 'b', and 'c' in the formula for an ellipse in 3D space?

The constants 'a', 'b', and 'c' represent the lengths of the semi-major axis, semi-minor axis, and the axis perpendicular to the plane of the ellipse, respectively. These values determine the size and orientation of the ellipse in 3D space.

4. How do you graph an ellipse in 3D space using its formula?

To graph an ellipse in 3D space using its formula, you first need to identify the values of 'a', 'b', and 'c' and determine the center point of the ellipse. Then, plot points on the x, y, and z axes using the values of 'a', 'b', and 'c' as the radius and the center point as the origin. Finally, connect the points to form the ellipse.

5. Can the formula for an ellipse in 3D space be used for all ellipses?

Yes, the formula for an ellipse in 3D space can be used for all ellipses, regardless of their size, orientation, or position in space. However, the values of 'a', 'b', and 'c' may vary for different ellipses, depending on their specific characteristics.