Heat Transfer through a pipe

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the temperature on the outside of a pipe with a heated fluid flowing through it, given the temperature of the fluid, ambient temperature, and material properties. The speaker also mentions the use of a formula for calculating energy transfer in the ideal case of a ground heat line with axial symmetry. However, they express confusion about the results of this formula and are looking for further explanation.
bill nye scienceguy!
I want to calculate the temperature on the outside of a pipe which has a heated fluid flowing through it. If I know the temperature of the fluid and the ambient temperature, as well as all the material properties such as thermal conductivity and convective heat transfer coefficient, is there a way I can do this?

All the examples I've been looking at assume you know the temperature on the outside of the pipe and are being used to calculate intermediate temperatures, i.e., at a pipe/insulation interface.

Science news on Phys.org
For an unlagged pipe there will be a non uniform temperature gradient along its length in other words the temperature falls towards the pipe outlet.Perhaps you could use dQ/dt equals kAdT/dl for when thermal equilibrium is reached.

This question is very interesting. I have been wondering about this, or a very simiilar scenario.

Ive been thinking of the general enthusiasm concerning ground heat. So I wanted to understand how much energy transfer one can expect in the ideal case.

Looking at the case with a axial symmetry I was only able to find one formula, developed by Ingersoll:

q = L (T_1 - T_2) * k

Where L is the length of line which is kept at T_2, situated in the ground, with heat T_1.. k is thermal conductivity.

This would mean that if a ground heat line is 100m, kept at 1*C, and T_1 is 11*C of a marble "infinite" reservoir with k=2w/mK, the q would be 2000Watts..

But this doesn't make any sense. So I also would like to see any further explanation.

1. What is heat transfer through a pipe?

Heat transfer through a pipe is the process of transferring thermal energy from one end of a pipe to the other. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How is heat transferred through a pipe?

Heat transfer through a pipe can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through physical contact, convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer through a pipe?

The rate of heat transfer through a pipe is influenced by a variety of factors, including the temperature difference between the two ends of the pipe, the material and thickness of the pipe, the fluid flowing through the pipe, and the surface area of the pipe.

4. How can heat transfer through a pipe be improved?

There are several ways to improve heat transfer through a pipe, including increasing the surface area of the pipe, using materials with high thermal conductivity, and insulating the pipe to reduce heat loss.

5. What are some real-world applications of heat transfer through a pipe?

Heat transfer through pipes is used in a variety of industries and applications, such as heating and cooling systems, power generation, chemical processing, and refrigeration. It is also utilized in everyday household appliances such as stoves, water heaters, and air conditioners.