Static Equilibrium questions

In summary, the student is having trouble with questions 8 and 9. The student posted the whole link because these questions have a diagram that go with them. The student is having trouble with questions 8 and 9. The student posted the whole link because these questions have a diagram that go with them. The student is having trouble with questions 8 and 9. The student posted the whole link because these questions have a diagram that go with them.
vivekfan

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/~jrk/p101/Homework/hw7_sp09.pdf

Here is the link. I am having trouble with questions 8 and 9. I posted the whole link because these questions have a diagram that go with it.

Homework Equations

Sum of F = 0
Sum of torque=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I just considered rod B, because that's what they asked about.

So the Forces there are:

The normal force from the wall
An upward force to keep it from falling
And the tension force acting downward on rod b.

But the problem is, then how will the horizontal forces balance? I think I'm definitely missing something.

When I did the problem going straight to the torques with these forces,

I chose an axis of rotation at a and plugged in the corresponding torques for the forces listed above, and I got answer c.

But I know I'm doing something wrong in the first part because my teacher said to always start with the forces and then pick the appropriate axis of rotation, but my forces don't make sense. Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vivekfan said:

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.upenn.edu/~jrk/p101/Homework/hw7_sp09.pdf

Here is the link. I am having trouble with questions 8 and 9. I posted the whole link because these questions have a diagram that go with it.

Homework Equations

Sum of F = 0
Sum of torque=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I just considered rod B, because that's what they asked about.

So the Forces there are:
The normal force from the wall
An upward force to keep it from falling
And the tension force acting downward on rod b.

But the problem is, then how will the horizontal forces balance? I think I'm definitely missing something.

When I did the problem going straight to the torques with these forces,
I chose an axis of rotation at a and plugged in the corresponding torques for the forces listed above, and I got answer c.
But I know I'm doing something wrong in the first part because my teacher said to always start with the forces and then pick the appropriate axis of rotation, but my forces don't make sense. Please help.

Perhaps the best approach is to examine the Torque about point B?

You have 2 forces to consider, since any forces along BC may be ignored because they have no moment arm through the pivot.

Then you should be able to write an equation for the projection of those forces to the x and y.

mg projects at BC*Cosθ

And the Tension in AC projects as T*BC*sinθ ... This means then that

T*BC*sinθ = mg*BC*cosθ

Since the Tension in AC at the wall is +x, then there must be a corresponding -x force at the wall at the pivot at point B.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I make the axis of rotation B, if I'm trying to solve for the normal force exerted on B? And which forces would I use in each direction in writing the sum of forces. I don't think I'm really understanding...are you considering the whole system or just rod B?

The simplest solution would be to consider rods AC and BC along with the hanging mass alone. That way the forces exerted on the wall become apparent. Then sum the torques about A. This equation gives an immediate answer. Also, the answer C is correct. This is because reaction forces are always opposite the member force.

I can show you the working if you need.

djeitnstine said:
The simplest solution would be to consider rods AC and BC along with the hanging mass alone. That way the forces exerted on the wall become apparent. Then sum the torques about A. This equation gives an immediate answer. Also, the answer C is correct. This is because reaction forces are always opposite the member force

So does this mean that in the x-direction, there is the normal force from the wall on A and a normal force on the wall on B, and in the y-direction, there is the rope tension and the vertical forces from rod A and B? So then if you consider A the axis of rotation, then there would be no need to consider torque from the normal force on A or the vertical force of A? So then the torques would only be from the normal force of B, the Tension in the rope, and the vertical force of B?

vivekfan said:
So does this mean that in the x-direction, there is the normal force from the wall on A and a normal force on the wall on B, and in the y-direction, there is the rope tension and the vertical forces from rod A and B? So then if you consider A the axis of rotation, then there would be no need to consider torque from the normal force on A or the vertical force of A? So then the torques would only be from the normal force of B, the Tension in the rope, and the vertical force of B?

surely you meant to say horizontal but you are correct. Also you can do the same procedure at B to find the answer to #9

Edit: I misread there but since the vertical force at B is acting at the point you are summing the torques by, its distance is 0 and this does not show up

djeitnstine said:
surely you meant to say horizontal but you are correct. Also you can do the same procedure at B to find the answer to #9

Edit: I misread there but since the vertical force at B is acting at the point you are summing the torques by, its distance is 0 and this does not show up

Why isn't the vertical force of B acting at point B...how is it acting at Point A?

Last edited:
You should review torques. When summing the torques about A, what is the perpendicular distance acting between the point A and the line of action of the vertical component of force B?

djeitnstine said:
You should review torques. When summing the torques about A, what is the perpendicular distance acting between the point A and the line of action of the vertical component of force B?

Oh, I am pretty sure I understand now. Because torque can only act perpendicular by the definition of the cross product, right?

Would you mind working the problem out, so that I can make sure my work is consistant? Thanks! I just want to make sure everything is correct, so that when I review, I can remember exactly what to do.

Last edited:
So I will sum the torques about point A and will use the scalar definition of torques which is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation. For simplicity I will denote [tex]B_x[/tex] as the horizontal force at B.

[tex]\sum \tau =0[/tex]
[tex]-lmg+dB_x=0[/tex]
[tex]B_x=\frac{l}{d}mg[/tex]

(use the right hand rule to find whether the moment is positive or negative)

djeitnstine said:
So I will sum the torques about point A and will use the scalar definition of torques which is the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation. For simplicity I will denote [tex]B_x[/tex] as the horizontal force at B.

[tex]\sum \tau =0[/tex]
[tex]-lmg+dB_x=0[/tex]
[tex]B_x=\frac{l}{d}mg[/tex]

(use the right hand rule to find whether the moment is positive or negative)

So, you always look at the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation?

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really appreciate it.

Yes look for the forces acting perpendicular to your displacement (vector) or distance from axis of rotation (or whatever you want to call it) to make your life easier. If its not so simple, use the vector method with the aforementioned displacement vector crossed with the force

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which an object is at rest and all forces acting on it are balanced. This means that the object will not accelerate or move unless an external force is applied.

What are the conditions for static equilibrium?

The conditions for static equilibrium are that the net force acting on the object must be zero, and the net torque (or moment) acting on the object must also be zero. This means that all forces and torques acting on the object must cancel out each other.

How do you calculate the net force and net torque in a system?

To calculate the net force in a system, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their magnitudes and directions. Then, use the formula Fnet = ∑F = 0, where ∑F represents the sum of all the forces. To calculate the net torque, you must identify the distance of each force from a chosen pivot point and its direction. Then, use the formula τnet = ∑τ = 0, where ∑τ represents the sum of all the torques.

What is the difference between static equilibrium and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state of balance where an object is at rest, while dynamic equilibrium is a state of balance where an object is moving at a constant velocity. In dynamic equilibrium, the net force and net torque are still zero, but the object is in motion.

What are some real-life examples of static equilibrium?

Some real-life examples of static equilibrium include a book resting on a table, a ladder leaning against a wall, and a tree standing upright. In all of these cases, the objects are at rest and all forces acting on them are balanced, resulting in static equilibrium.