Two photons spontaneous emission (2s->1s)

In summary: OK. What do they look like physically?That's hard to say. It seems like they could be related to the energy levels in your calculations, but that's about it.
leviadam
Hi all,

I'm doing a project that includes an hydrogen 2s->1s decay and I need the full derivation of this process, so if anyone can recommend about a book it would be great.
I first thought it should be easy to find but to tell you the truth I have looked and found scratch.

10x a lot,
Adam :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd also like to know how this works. There ought to be a mechanism that describes it. Some transitions have a strong oscillating dipole moment, but this one doesn't. Not even a quadrupole or higher moment. So what explains the transition process?

It comes from the A2 operator in the Hamiltonian, all the dipole and quadrupole etc comes from A*P, when A*p is possible A2 is neglected.
In 2s->1s A*p is impossible so there has to be a two photons emission.

Adam.

You say "it" comes from the A-sqaured operator, but what is "it"?

You say "the dipole moment" comes from A*P.

I know what "the dipole moment" is but I don't know what your "it" is. It is not helpful to say "it" comes from A-squared because I don't know what "it" is.

This is a quantum field of course, and is represented with ladder operators , so when you have A2 you get a product of two ladder operators that creates two photons.

Adam.

Last edited:
In the words of Marvin Gaye: "It takes two, baby."
You get a zero transition probability with a single photon, no matter what order you expand A.p to (dipole, quadrupole, etc). 2s->1s is completely forbidden. So if there's a transition (which there is), it's from taking into account a two-photon (A.A) term, that is, two photons are emitted.

What this corresponds to 'physically', if you like, is a decay to and then from a virtual level. 2s->virtual->1s.

And it's not terribly spontaneous.. IIRC, the lifetime of 2s is on the order of seconds.

alxm, you seem to know the phenomena, can you think of a book that has the full derivation?

leviadam said:
alxm, you seem to know the phenomena, can you think of a book that has the full derivation?

I can't seem to find one, but "Atomic and laser spectroscopy" by Alan Corney has some of it in section 7.4, but it's mostly geared towards experiment.
Poking around with Google turned up http://calima.univalle.edu.co/revista/vol38_1/articulos/pdf/3801365.pdf" which does a pretty good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently been to a conference, where some guy talked about two photon emission in semiconductors. In his papers he also refers to two photon emission in atomic optics and hydrogen and usually refers to the following papers:

Goldman, S. P. & Drake, G. W. F. "Relativistic two-photon decay rates of 2s1/2 hydrogenic ions", Phys. Rev. A 24, 183–191 (1981).

and

Shapiro, J. & Breit, G. "Metastability of 2s states of hydrogenic atoms", Phys. Rev. 113, 179–181 (1959).

I am no expert on that field, but maybe these papers contain what you are looking for.

alxm said:
What this corresponds to 'physically', if you like, is a decay to and then from a virtual level. 2s->virtual->1s.

And it's not terribly spontaneous.. IIRC, the lifetime of 2s is on the order of seconds.

Any idea what the virtual level looks like? And is the decay process sequential (first one photon, then another photon a second later) or simultaneous?

conway said:
Any idea what the virtual level looks like? And is the decay process sequential (first one photon, then another photon a second later) or simultaneous?

Well, it looks like an energy level in your calculations. In reality it looks like nothing since it doesn't actually exist outside of that - both photons are emitted simultaneously.

You could compare to virtual energy levels in Raman scattering.

alxm said:
You could compare to virtual energy levels in Raman scattering.

OK. What do they look like physically?

1. What is two photons spontaneous emission (2s->1s)?

Two photons spontaneous emission (2s->1s) is a quantum phenomenon where an excited atom or molecule spontaneously emits two photons as it transitions from a higher energy state (2s) to a lower energy state (1s). This process is also known as two-photon decay or two-photon emission.

2. How does two photons spontaneous emission occur?

In two photons spontaneous emission, the atom or molecule initially absorbs energy from an external source, such as light, which excites it to a higher energy state. The atom or molecule then spontaneously decays to a lower energy state, emitting two photons with half the energy of the initial excitation. This process is governed by the laws of quantum mechanics.

3. What is the significance of two photons spontaneous emission?

Two photons spontaneous emission plays a crucial role in various quantum technologies, such as quantum cryptography, quantum computing, and quantum communication. It also has practical applications in laser technology, where it is used to create highly efficient, low-power lasers.

4. Can two photons spontaneous emission be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, two photons spontaneous emission can be controlled and manipulated through various techniques. For example, the emission rate can be increased or decreased by changing the environment, such as the temperature or pressure. It can also be manipulated by altering the energy levels of the atom or molecule through external stimuli.

5. Is two photons spontaneous emission a common phenomenon?

Two photons spontaneous emission is a relatively rare phenomenon in nature, but it is increasingly being harnessed for various applications in quantum technology. It is more commonly observed in highly excited atoms or molecules, and its occurrence depends on the specific energy levels of the system.