Uncertainty v. Predictability

• Thread starter mikesaxon4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the conversation discusses the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics and the various interpretations of it. The main question is whether or not the uncertainty principle means that everything in the universe has a predetermined path and how it relates to free will. Some believe that the uncertainty is a result of our lack of knowledge, while others argue that it is a fundamental property of the system. The conversation also mentions Bell's Theorem, which tests the local realistic interpretations of quantum mechanics. Overall, there is still much debate and discussion surrounding the uncertainty principle and its implications.
mikesaxon4
Hey,

Physics is not my field of expertise, and I've had a few questions keeping me up nights for some time. I'm hoping that someone here with the expertise i lack will help me come to some conclusion regarding free will, as it relates to my understanding of the uncertainty principle.

Okay. My understanding of the uncertainty principle is essentially that it is impossible to know, say, both the position and the velocity of a quantum particle at the same moment in time with any accuracy. That's more or less the jist of it, right? Now, that said, just because one cannot know these properties with any accuracy does not mean the do not exist, does it? A sub-atomic particle does have a precise position and velocity, the problem is that we cannot know both with any accuracy. Am i correct in my understanding? If these things are true, the only real conclusion one can draw is that, since everything in the universe is built of these particles, everything in the universe has a predetermined path. That would naturally include human action/thought.

I'm sure most of you in the know have already come to some conclusion about the stated predicament, but i have not. That is why i ask, so please entertain my curiosity if you find the time. My world view is admittedly in shambles, and i'd love to be able to sleep again.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's my description of the precise meaning of the HUP, which I posted some time ago:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2122115

Going beyond this description, to a statement about what is "really happening" before the measurements are made, gets you into the realm of interpretations of QM. There is little general agreement on such questions, because (so far) nobody has found a way to distinguish between a large set of interpretations experimentally. It's generally agreed (except for a few persistent dissenters) that some interpretations (the "local realistic" ones) are pretty much ruled out by experiments that test Bell's Theorem.

Last edited:
mikesaxon4 said:
Hey,

Physics is not my field of expertise, and I've had a few questions keeping me up nights for some time. I'm hoping that someone here with the expertise i lack will help me come to some conclusion regarding free will, as it relates to my understanding of the uncertainty principle.

Okay. My understanding of the uncertainty principle is essentially that it is impossible to know, say, both the position and the velocity of a quantum particle at the same moment in time with any accuracy. That's more or less the jist of it, right? Now, that said, just because one cannot know these properties with any accuracy does not mean the do not exist, does it? A sub-atomic particle does have a precise position and velocity, the problem is that we cannot know both with any accuracy. Am i correct in my understanding? If these things are true, the only real conclusion one can draw is that, since everything in the universe is built of these particles, everything in the universe has a predetermined path. That would naturally include human action/thought.

I'm sure most of you in the know have already come to some conclusion about the stated predicament, but i have not. That is why i ask, so please entertain my curiosity if you find the time. My world view is admittedly in shambles, and i'd love to be able to sleep again.

Thanks.

This is one of the interesting parts of QM in that there is quite the philosophical debate about it's interpretation. Here's how I generally understand it:

The uncertainty principle (in terms of position and momentum) could potentially mean two things:

1.) It's a statement that we do not know all the information available in our theory. By that what I mean is that there is some hidden concept that we have not yet figured out which would correct the uncertainty which we currently cannot circumvent.

2.) It's a statement that not only can we not know the position and momentum of a particle both with absolute accuracy, but it also means that nature works in such a way that there is no way of knowing the position if we absolutely know the momentum, and vice-versa. Not only that but if nature does work in such a way it means that our current definition of momentum is completely non-nonsensical (on a quantum scale) if we absolutely know the position (and vice-versa) and so a sub-atomic particle does not have both an absolute position and momentum.

Now, personally I tend to think that a good majority seem to accept 2.) as the correct interpretation because of a famous counter-argument to 1.) which is called Bell's Inequalities.

mikesaxon4 said:
A sub-atomic particle does have a precise position and velocity, the problem is that we cannot know both with any accuracy. Am i correct in my understanding?
I would say you are incorrect. A sub-atomic particle does not in general have a precise position, but is described by a wave function having a non-zero value over a fuzzy volume.

Quantum superposition of states has been verified experimentally, so I would say this answer is true regardless of which interpretation you choose. If sub-atomic particles always have to have a definite position, then the double slit experiment would never show any interference, but it does.

mikesaxon4 said:
Now, that said, just because one cannot know these properties with any accuracy does not mean the do not exist, does it? A sub-atomic particle does have a precise position and velocity, the problem is that we cannot know both with any accuracy. Am i correct in my understanding?
No. Much work has gone into that very question. The prevailing answer is that the uncertainty is not simply a matter of measurement; it is a real property of the system.

Hey,

I really appreciate all the replies from knowledgeable folks. Glad someone mentioned bell's theorem, i'll spend some time looking into it.

I'm especially interested in the idea that uncertainty is not a question of measurement, but an actual property of the system. A truly fascinating idea, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure i'll be back soon for input on other quandaries.

Thanks you.

mikesaxon4 said:
Hey,

I really appreciate all the replies from knowledgeable folks. Glad someone mentioned bell's theorem, i'll spend some time looking into it.

I'm especially interested in the idea that uncertainty is not a question of measurement, but an actual property of the system. A truly fascinating idea, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sure i'll be back soon for input on other quandaries.

Thanks you.

Welcome to PhysicsForums! Yes, you should look into the EPR Paradox and Bell's Theorem as those will help you to frame things in your mind.

1. What is the difference between uncertainty and predictability?

Uncertainty refers to the lack of knowledge or information about a situation or event, making it difficult to accurately predict the outcome. Predictability, on the other hand, refers to the ability to make accurate forecasts or predictions based on available information.

2. How does uncertainty and predictability affect scientific research?

Uncertainty and predictability are important factors in scientific research as they can impact the validity and reliability of the results. High levels of uncertainty can lead to unreliable findings, while predictability allows for more accurate and reproducible results.

3. Can uncertainty and predictability coexist?

Yes, uncertainty and predictability can coexist in certain situations. For example, in complex systems, there may be some level of uncertainty, but patterns and trends can still be predicted based on available data and models.

4. How can scientists deal with uncertainty in their research?

One way scientists can deal with uncertainty is by using statistical methods to account for and quantify the level of uncertainty in their data. Additionally, conducting further research and experiments can help to reduce uncertainty and increase predictability in a given topic.

5. How does uncertainty and predictability impact decision making?

Uncertainty and predictability play a crucial role in decision making. High levels of uncertainty can make it difficult to make informed decisions, while predictability allows for more accurate forecasting and decision making. It is important for scientists to communicate the level of uncertainty in their research to help inform decision making processes.