Approximating PI: Int. of x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2)= 22/7 - Pi

• Thread starter Zadey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pi
In summary, by calculating the integral \int_0^1 \frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}\,dx and using long division, it can be shown that \frac{22}{7}<\pi<\frac{1}{100}. This implies that the approximation \frac{22}{7} is accurate to 2 decimal places. To find the maximum of the numerator, you would need to take the derivative and set it equal to 0, then solve for x. This maximum value can then be used to show that \frac{22}{7}<\frac{\pi}{1024}<\frac{1}{100}, proving the accuracy of the approximation.
Zadey
Approximating PI Show that [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{1}{0}[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}[/tex]dx=[tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]-[tex]\Pi[/tex] Why does this imply that [tex]\Pi[/tex][tex]\triangleleft[/tex][tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]

I have no clue where to begin with this, I'm at a loss, this is one of the questions for in my university project, first year. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating the integral would probably be a good start.

What's the numerical value of the integral? Is it a big number or a small number? Is it positive or negative?

I have no clue where to begin with this, I'm at a loss, this is one of the questions for in my university project, first year. Any help is appreciated.

Welcome to PF, Zadey.

To evaluate [tex]\int_0^1 \frac{x^{4}(1-x)^{4}}{1+x^{2}}\,dx[/tex]

multiply out the numerator, then use long division, then integrate from 0 to 1.

Once you have done the integral and derived the result shown, if [itex]\pi[/itex] were greater than 22/7, the integral would be negative.

Thanks, I got it. Don't know why I didin't see it earlier.
Now if I had to find the maximum of the numerator, how would I go about using it to show that [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{\pi}{1024}[/tex]<[tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] and how does it imply that the approximation [tex]\frac{22}{7}[/tex]is accurate to 2 decimal places? I know that the [tex]\frac{1}{100}[/tex] would be used to imply that its accurate to 2 decimal places but how it does I'm not sure.

1. What is the equation for approximating PI?

The equation for approximating PI is Int. of x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2)= 22/7 - Pi. This equation involves integrating the function x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2) and subtracting 22/7 from the result to get an approximation of PI.

2. How does this equation work?

This equation works by using the concept of integration to calculate the area under the curve of the function x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2). The result is then subtracted from 22/7 to get a value close to PI.

3. Why is this equation used to approximate PI?

This equation is used to approximate PI because it is a simple and accurate way to calculate the value of PI. It is also commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve problems involving circles and curves.

4. How accurate is this approximation of PI?

The accuracy of this approximation of PI depends on the precision of the calculation and the number of iterations used in the integration process. With enough iterations, the approximation can be very close to the actual value of PI.

5. Are there other methods for approximating PI?

Yes, there are other methods for approximating PI, such as the famous Monte Carlo method and the Chudnovsky algorithm. However, the equation Int. of x^4(1-x)^4/(1+x^2)= 22/7 - Pi is a simple and effective way to approximate PI and is commonly used in various fields of science and engineering.