Minimum Size in spin networks/foams.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of matter fields living on a spin foam and how experiments on this grid structure can be seen as obtaining an eigenvalue of a surface operator. It is also noted that the matter field is what moves and any measurement of an area will be independent of its energy-momentum. The conversation also mentions that when a measurement is made, a spin network is picked out of a spin foam, resulting in the measurement of an area on a spin network.
MTd2
Gold Member
I must put both of them because I want to have an idea of dynamics here, of scattering and of geometry at the same time. I will rewrite what I put in another thread:

"Matter field is something that lives on a spin foam like electical fields on a electrical grid structure. Any possible experiment done by whoever lives on that grid will be like obtaing an eigenvalue of a surface operator. But what moves is the matter field, so any measurement of an area will be irrespective of its energy-momentum."

By the way, when a measurement is made, a spin network is picked out of a spin foam, right? So, the area measured is one of a spin network.

Physics news on Phys.org
I replied already to what you said in the other thread. I will have to look back and see what I said.
MTd2 said:
By the way, when a measurement is made, a spin network is picked out of a spin foam, right? So, the area measured is one of a spin network.

1. What is the minimum size in spin networks/foams?

The minimum size in spin networks/foams refers to the smallest possible length or distance that can be represented in the network or foam. It is a fundamental unit of measure in these structures and is used to describe the smallest features or building blocks.

2. How is the minimum size determined in spin networks/foams?

The minimum size in spin networks/foams is determined based on the properties of the underlying space-time manifold and the type of spin network or foam being considered. It is often related to the Planck length, which is the smallest length that can be measured in the universe.

3. Why is the minimum size important in spin networks/foams?

The minimum size in spin networks/foams is important because it provides a way to quantize space-time and describe the structure of the universe at a fundamental level. It also plays a role in theories of quantum gravity and can help explain the behavior of particles at extremely small scales.

4. How does the minimum size affect the behavior of spin networks/foams?

The minimum size in spin networks/foams can affect the behavior of these structures in various ways. It can determine the resolution or accuracy of measurements, influence the dynamics of particles, and impact the overall geometry and topology of the network or foam.

5. Can the minimum size in spin networks/foams change?

The minimum size in spin networks/foams is a fundamental unit and is typically considered to be a constant. However, some theories propose that it may change in certain circumstances, such as during the early stages of the universe or in extreme gravitational fields.