Finding Limit Help: Get Expert Assistance

• Thread starter KataKoniK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the person is seeking help with a question about limits and is having difficulty understanding the notation.
KataKoniK
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here can help me with the following question.

lim 1 - cos(x³ sin x) / x^6 sin² x
x->0

I have tried multiplying the top and the bottom by 1 + cos(x³ sin x), so I can get

(sin²(x³ sin x) / x^6 sin² x) * 1 / 1 + cos(x³ sin x)

I get stuck there. I don't know what to do next. Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcom to PF!
Just to make sure I understand your notation, you are seeking:
[tex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sin^{2}(x^{3}\sin(x))}{x^{6}\sin^{2}(x)}\frac{1}{1+\cos(x^{3}\sin(x))}[/tex]

Use the sneaky [tex]\sin(y)\approx{y},\cos(y)\approx1 (y\approx0)[/tex] to find the limit.
You should end up with [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

sin^2(x^3sin(x)) / (x^3sin(x)) * 1 / (x^3sin(x)) * 1 / 1 + cos(x^3sin(x))

The limit of the first one is 1 (since the argument of the sin and denominator are the same) and the limit of the last is 1/2 (cos0 is 1 so that is 1/2)

that is all about I know ^^

The middle part poses a problem for my limited experience ><

Thanks for the reply. I am currently taking first-year Calculus in University. It is very difficult.

I do not understand what the [tex]\sin(y)\approx{y},\cos(y)\approx1 (y\approx0)[/tex] notation is. I have never seen it before, unless I am missing something.

Nice eye singleton. I didn't even notice the part of how I could have broken up x^6 sin x

Thanks for the help. I'll try it out.

What it means, is that when the argument of sine (y) is approximately zero, then
sin(y) is approximately equal to y.
You've seen the following limit before:
[tex]\lim_{x\to0}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1[/tex] (Right?)
This implies that [tex]\sin(x)\approx{x}[/tex] when x is close to zero..

nevermind I'm wrong! (can't seem to get rid of an undefined anyway I try and cut it) try to google the method the other poster suggested!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help you two!

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. It represents the value that a function is "approaching" as the input gets closer and closer to a specific point. This is an important concept in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems.

2. Why is finding limits important?

Finding limits is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values. It also helps us to determine if a function is continuous, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science. Limits are used extensively in calculus and other branches of mathematics, and have many practical applications in fields such as physics and engineering.

3. How can I find the limit of a function?

There are several methods for finding limits, including algebraic manipulation, graphing, and using specific limit rules such as the squeeze theorem or L'Hopital's rule. The most common method is to evaluate the function at points close to the given value and observe the trend of the outputs. In more complex cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced techniques or consult with an expert for assistance.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding limits?

Some common mistakes when finding limits include incorrectly applying limit rules, not considering both the left and right-hand limits, and forgetting to simplify the expression before evaluating. It is also important to pay attention to any restrictions or discontinuities in the function, as these can affect the limit value. It is always best to double-check your work and seek assistance if needed to avoid making these mistakes.

5. When should I seek expert assistance for finding limits?

If you are struggling to understand the concept of limits or are having difficulty solving a particular limit problem, it may be beneficial to seek expert assistance. This could include consulting with a math tutor or teacher, or reaching out to a math help service for guidance. Additionally, if you encounter a complex limit problem that requires advanced techniques, it may be wise to seek expert assistance to ensure accuracy and understanding.