Manometer Homework Help: Solving Problems and Understanding Concepts

In summary, the problem involves using equations for potential energy and conservation of energy to find the final kinetic energy of an object on an incline. The second equation used was missing the initial kinetic energy term, and the signs for the r*g*h terms depend on the direction of motion.
Frisky90

Homework Statement

Can someone help with this problem?

http://img854.imageshack.us/i/img6405.jpg/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img151.imageshack.us/f/img6404v.jpg/

I got an answer which is very close to the one from the textbook. I can't find the problem.
I'm talking about a).

It'd be nice if someone explain how do we assign the signs of the r*g*h terms. As far as I know, its plus when we go down, and minus when we go up.

Thx :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Sure, I can help with this problem. Let's start with the equations we can use to solve it:

1. Potential energy equation: PE = mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height.

2. Conservation of energy equation: KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf, where KE is the kinetic energy, PE is the potential energy, and the subscripts i and f represent the initial and final states, respectively.

Now, for the attempt at a solution, it looks like you've correctly used the first equation to find the potential energy at the top of the incline (PEi) and the potential energy at the bottom of the incline (PEf). However, the second equation is missing the kinetic energy terms. Since the object starts from rest at the top of the incline, the initial kinetic energy (KEi) is equal to 0. Therefore, the equation should be:

PEi = KEf + PEf

Now, let's assign the signs for the r*g*h terms. As you mentioned, when an object goes down, the sign for the r*g*h term is positive, and when it goes up, the sign is negative. In this problem, the object is initially at the top of the incline, and it goes down to the bottom. Therefore, the sign for the PEi term should be positive, and the sign for the PEf term should be negative. This is because the object is losing potential energy as it goes down the incline.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is a manometer?

A manometer is a scientific instrument used to measure pressure, typically in a closed system. It consists of a U-shaped tube partially filled with a liquid, such as mercury or water, and is used to measure the difference in pressure between two points.

2. How do I read a manometer?

To read a manometer, you need to identify the level of the liquid on each side of the U-shaped tube. The difference in the liquid levels is equal to the difference in pressure between the two points being measured. The liquid level on the side closest to the source of pressure will be higher.

3. What are the different types of manometers?

There are three main types of manometers: the U-tube manometer, the well-type manometer, and the inclined-tube manometer. Each type has a distinct design and is used for specific applications. The U-tube manometer is the most common and simplest type.

4. How is a manometer used in science?

A manometer is used in various scientific experiments and studies to measure pressure differences. It is commonly used in physics, chemistry, and engineering for applications such as measuring gas pressure, fluid flow, and air velocity.

5. What are some common sources of error when using a manometer?

The accuracy of a manometer measurement can be affected by several factors, including air bubbles in the liquid, temperature changes, and external vibrations. It is important to carefully set up and calibrate a manometer to minimize these sources of error.