Projectile Motion Home work Question.

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the question is asking for the initial velocity and distance from the building needed to throw a snowball so that it just clears a telephone line and reaches the roof of a nearby 10m tall building. Using the five acceleration equations, we can solve for the initial velocity and determine the distance from the building by considering the vertical and horizontal components of the snowball's motion.
Slnj325

Homework Statement

Hi, I have this physics question that i need help with, I don't really understand the question so can anyone explain it to me?

Home Work Question :

Suppose you see a 10m tall building nearby and you want to throw a snowball up and onto its roof. You notice a telephone line running across the possible path of your snowball: the telephone line is 20m off the ground and is 5.0m in front of the building (measured horizontally). You decide to throw the snowball so that it just clears(goes over) the telephone line and just reaches the roof of the building. How far from the building should you stand and with what initial velocity should you throw the snowball?

vertical distance = 10m

Homework Equations

The 5 Acceleration equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't Attempt the question because i don't really understand it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone explain it to me?

Dear student,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your physics question. I would be happy to explain the question to you and help you find a solution.

The question is asking you to determine the initial velocity and distance from the building that you should throw a snowball in order for it to just clear the telephone line and reach the roof of the 10m tall building. This means that the snowball will have a vertical distance of 10m and a horizontal distance of 5.0m to travel.

To solve this problem, we can use the five acceleration equations. These equations relate the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, time, and distance of an object in motion. In this case, we are only interested in the vertical motion of the snowball, so we can use the equation:

d = vi*t + 1/2*a*t^2

Where d is the vertical distance, vi is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity (which is -9.8m/s^2), and t is the time. We know that the initial vertical distance is 10m and the final vertical distance is 0m (since the snowball will reach the roof). We also know that the acceleration due to gravity is -9.8m/s^2. Therefore, we can solve for the initial velocity by plugging in these values and solving for vi.

Next, we need to determine the time it takes for the snowball to reach the roof. To do this, we can use the equation:

vf = vi + a*t

Where vf is the final velocity (which is 0m/s), vi is the initial velocity that we just solved for, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time. We can solve for t and use this value to find the initial velocity.

Once we have the initial velocity, we can use the horizontal distance of 5.0m and the initial velocity to calculate the time it takes for the snowball to travel this distance. We can then use this time to determine the distance from the building that you should stand in order to throw the snowball.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the question and how to approach it. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your physics problem!

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is affected by gravity and air resistance. It is a type of motion that is commonly observed in sports and other activities, such as throwing a ball or shooting a cannon.

2. How is projectile motion different from regular motion?

Projectile motion is different from regular motion because it involves both horizontal and vertical components. While the object moves horizontally at a constant speed, it is also accelerating vertically due to the force of gravity. This results in a curved path known as a parabola.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, the force of gravity, and air resistance. The mass and shape of the object can also have an impact on its trajectory.

4. How can I calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = v2 sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the formula R = vx × t, where vx is the horizontal velocity and t is the time of flight.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

There are many real-life applications of projectile motion, such as throwing a ball, launching a rocket, shooting a basketball, or hitting a golf ball. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science to understand and predict the motion of objects in the air.