Basic Question: Multiple Torques on same shaft

In summary: The angular form of Newton's 2nd law is:\sum T = I \alpha So yes, they are added to come up with the net torque acting on the shaft. Remember that torque is a twisting force and therefore a vector. Make sure you establish which direction is positive.
infamous_Q
Ok. assuming that Torque is basically force at an angle (yes that is a very very loose description, I know). would it be fair to assume that net torque would be equal to all torques applied to one rotating shaft? Or are there exceptions to this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The angular form of Newton's 2nd law is:

[tex] \sum T = I \alpha [/tex]

So yes, they are added to come up with the net torque acting on the shaft. Remember that torque is a twisting force and therefore a vector. Make sure you establish which direction is positive.

alright. couple more quick ones, since u seem to be well suited to answer them. I read somewhere that force applied in a rotational direction (if rotational is a word..) is considered torque, and to find the torque you must multiply the force times the radius of the object. now is that even true?

also. if you say had a steel bar, attached perpendicular to a shaft to a shaft. and there was a force of say 50 N on teh y axis, and 75 N on the x-axis (consider this to be a 2 dimensional problem) how would you figure out the torque of that? just add the vectors together then multiply by radius (if that's true)?

It's usually a bad thing. They like to couple and encourage shafts to commit unnatural acts.

I'd say torque is a more generic term. In engineering, we talk about moments, though torque is perfectly acceptable as well. Still, it helps to start with the concept of a moment.

A moment can be applied to anything, take a wrench for example. A wrench sticks out radially from a bolt, like the spoke on a wheel. If you want to turn the bolt, you don't push or pull the tip of the wrench towards or away from the bolt, it wouldn't turn. You pull on the end of the wrench in a direction that is perpendicular to this radius. If you're not pulling exactly perpendicular to the radius, then only that component of the force you're applying to the wrench that is perpendicular to the radius actually creates a moment and can be used to calculate the moment. The moment around the bolt is equal to a torque which is equal to a radius multiplied by the perpendicular component of the force. That's why torque has the value of pound*foot or Newton*meters (force times length).

If you think of a torque on a shaft for example, a torque created by a motor, it's the same thing. Let's say you have a motor that puts out 100 lb*ft of torque. It may be spinning at thousands of RPM, but that doesn't matter. The torque it applies to the spinning shaft is equal to a person with a wrench 1 foot long pulling with 100 pounds of force. Power is just a bit different then, power is the ability to move that force through a distance. The faster it rotates, the more power it is putting out.

so in my example, if the steel bar is flat (horizontally) at the start. and the 50N, in teh y direction, pushes down on it perpendicularily the bar will produce a torque yet the force (75 N) in teh x direction will have no real effect on teh torque, but then when the bar is straight vertically the force in the x direction will be the force creating the torque and the y force will have no real effect? and then some where in between those two points both forces are added together at different angles to produce the torque?

"I read somewhere that force applied in a rotational direction (if rotational is a word..) is considered torque, and to find the torque you must multiply the force times the radius of the object. now is that even true?"

Yes that is true.

"if you say had a steel bar, attached perpendicular to a shaft to a shaft. and there was a force of say 50 N on teh y axis, and 75 N on the x-axis (consider this to be a 2 dimensional problem) how would you figure out the torque of that? just add the vectors together then multiply by radius (if that's true)?"

You're starting to get into the basics of a statics class. Your loads are going to combine to give you both bending moments (torques as you are calling them) and compressive or tensile forces. In your example, the force that you think has no real effect creates compressive or tensile stresses assuming that you have sufficient restraining forces. These forces result in things like buckling and elongation.

...ok so i'd need some sort of really strong material i take it. but a torque would be created no less, right?

What is the concept of multiple torques on the same shaft?

The concept of multiple torques on the same shaft refers to the application of two or more forces that are acting on a single shaft, causing it to rotate. This can occur in various mechanical systems, such as engines or motors.

How do multiple torques affect the rotation of a shaft?

When multiple torques are applied to a shaft, they combine to create a net torque, which determines the direction and speed of the shaft's rotation. If the net torque is positive, the shaft will rotate in a clockwise direction, while a negative net torque will result in counterclockwise rotation.

What factors affect the magnitude of multiple torques on a shaft?

The magnitude of multiple torques on a shaft is affected by the individual forces applied, their distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle at which they are applied. The greater the force and distance, the larger the torque, while an angle of 90 degrees will result in the maximum torque.

What is the difference between concurrent and non-concurrent multiple torques?

Concurrent multiple torques refer to the application of forces at a single point on the shaft, while non-concurrent torques are applied at separate points. In the case of concurrent torques, the net torque is simply the sum of the individual torques, while non-concurrent torques require vector addition to determine the net torque.

How can multiple torques be managed and controlled in a mechanical system?

Multiple torques can be managed and controlled by adjusting the forces and distances of the individual torques, as well as the angles at which they are applied. Additionally, using a gearbox or gear train can help to distribute and balance the torques for more efficient and effective operation of the system.