Can Mass be Converted to Volume without Gravity?

• Thread starter hubble_bubble
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Volume
In summary, the article seems to suggest that one of the magnetic monopoles is reacting out of range of detection, and that this may mean that the photon is actually too big for us to detect in its entirety.
hubble_bubble
Is there an equation to convert mass to volume assuming a negligible gravitational effect. So say 1 micro gram occupies a particular volume.

Physics news on Phys.org
The relationship between mass and volume is called the Density (look it up). Density varies from substance to substance. Gravity doesn't come into it unless you are dealing with a substance that is compressible under its own weight (say air).

sophiecentaur said:
The relationship between mass and volume is called the Density (look it up). Density varies from substance to substance. Gravity doesn't come into it unless you are dealing with a substance that is compressible under its own weight (say air).

OK. I am trying to understand the relationships between Planck length, Planck mass and Planck volume. The measurements are so small and have a standard uncertainty I was thinking I could scale them up somehow to say make 1 Plank volume equal to 1 cubic metre for convenience and then derive the other units from that. Don't ask me why I want to do this as it is something I am working on that is not related to current theories and would cause problems if I discussed it here.

Scaling numbers up can easily be done by using scientific notation.

hubble_bubble said:
... I was thinking I could scale them up somehow to say make 1 Plank volume equal to 1 cubic metre for convenience and then derive the other units from that.
But a Planck volume is not 1 m3, it is (1 Planck length)3, or about 4 × 10-105 m3.

(If I understand your statement correctly.)

I think the idea was to divide it by 4x10-105 to make it easier to work with.

russ_watters said:
I think the idea was to divide it by 4x10-105 to make it easier to work with.

The problem is with h-bar if I have h at 1. If I have 1/2pi for h-bar then how would this relate to G and c? The units are no longer normalised, are they?

You aren't really explaining what you are trying to do, so I have no idea what the issue is. Perhaps you need to be working with the equations without plugging in the values?

russ_watters said:
You aren't really explaining what you are trying to do, so I have no idea what the issue is. Perhaps you need to be working with the equations without plugging in the values?

I think that is what I will have to do otherwise I am comparing apples with pears. Ultimately I want to convert mass to a volume. I need to factor in a density for a rest mass energy. I want to plot volume and mass for various elements at rest mass. Unless this has already been done. I also want to plot valency against specific gravity for elements in the periodic table. Does anyone know if this has been done somewhere.

Yes, if you don't want to deal with ugly values, working with equations can avoid that.

And yes, you can certainly find tables of densities online. However, be aware that density is a macro phenomenon that depends on the arrangement of the atoms. There is not one single density for an element. This probably means that what you are seeking to do isn't possible.

russ_watters said:
Yes, if you don't want to deal with ugly values, working with equations can avoid that.

That's what I am thinking.

russ_watters said:
And yes, you can certainly find tables of densities online. However, be aware that density is a macro phenomenon that depends on the arrangement of the atoms. There is not one single density for an element. This probably means that what you are seeking to do isn't possible.

I know and that is going to be a real problem. I haven't worked out how to resolve it yet. I am sure there will be a way but the math will be complex. Maybe too complex.

I have been reading up on the classical electron radius. If I were to use this as a reference point and sidestep quantum mechanics (I know!) then this could give me some reference point.

This then leads on to the electromagnetic radius for any mass.

Has anyone heard of the scale invariant quantum Hall impedance.

I found this.

[crackpot link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
The article above seems to indicate that one of the magnetic monopoles is reacting out of range of detection. This may mean that the photon is actually too big for us to detect in its entirety.

Since the OP is hijacking his own thread, it's a good time to stop.

What is mass to volume conversion?

Mass to volume conversion is a process in which you convert the mass of a substance into its equivalent volume measurement. It is used in various scientific fields, such as chemistry and physics, to accurately measure and compare the amount of a substance.

What is the formula for mass to volume conversion?

The formula for mass to volume conversion depends on the substance and its physical state. For example, the formula for converting the mass of a solid substance to its volume is density = mass/volume. On the other hand, the formula for converting the mass of a liquid substance to its volume is volume = mass/density.

Why is mass to volume conversion important in science?

Mass to volume conversion is important in science because it allows for accurate and standardized measurements of substances. It also helps scientists compare and analyze the properties of different substances, which is crucial for conducting experiments and making scientific discoveries.

What units are used for mass and volume in mass to volume conversion?

Mass is typically measured in grams (g) or kilograms (kg), while volume is measured in milliliters (mL) or cubic centimeters (cm3). However, depending on the substance and its properties, other units may be used, such as pounds (lbs) for mass and liters (L) for volume.

How do you perform a mass to volume conversion?

To perform a mass to volume conversion, you need to know the mass of the substance and its density. Then, you can use the appropriate formula to calculate the volume. Make sure to use the correct units and conversions, if necessary, to ensure accurate results.