Need help on sources of magnetic fields

In summary, the magnetic field at the origin due to the three wires in the diagram is the same as:- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to one infinitely long wire perpendicular distance a from the point O (use Ampere's Law - easy), MINUS;- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to a wire of length 2d & perpendicular distance a from the point O (use Biot Savart Law), MINUS;- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to a wire of length 2a & perpendicular distance d from the point O (use Biot Savart Law again. In fact you can use the result of the previous step but swap a & d).
andrew410
Consider the current loop in the figure below.
Figure: http://east.ilrn.com/graphing/bca/user/appletImage?dbid=1450953670 [Broken]

Determine the magnetic field (in terms of a, I and d) at the origin.

So I will use mu as the permeability of free space. Since the two vertical wires have opposite directions in current they cancel out, right? If so, then all I have to calculate is the horizontal wire. Well...I use the biot-savart law, but can't seem to get the correct answer. My answer is ((mu*I)/(4*pi*d))*(2*cos(pi/4)). Did I apply the law wrong or am I just totally wrong?

Any help would be great, Thx!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the two vertical wires have opposite directions in current they cancel out, right?

Actually, no. The wire with the current going up contributes the same magnetic field at point O as the wire going down (use the right hand grip rule). So determine the magnetic field due to the wire with the current going up (or down), double it, and add it to the magnetic field due to the horizontal wire.

In fact you can simplify the calculation even more with some clever tricks. The magnitude of the magnetic field at O due to the three wires in the diagram is the same as:

- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to one infinitely long wire perpendicular distance a from the point O (use Ampere's Law - easy), MINUS;
- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to a wire of length 2d & perpendicular distance a from the point O (use Biot Savart Law), MINUS;
- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to a wire of length 2a & perpendicular distance d from the point O (use Biot Savart Law again. In fact you can use the result of the previous step but swap a & d).

(think about why this is true).

Last edited:
s_a said:
- The magnitude of the magnetic field due to one infinitely long wire perpendicular distance a from the point O (use Ampere's Law - easy), MINUS;

The magnitude is (mu*I)/(2*pi*a).

How do you get the other two magnitudes?

Suppose you have a straight wire carrying current I, of length 2L, and the midpoint M of the wire is a perpendicular distance D from a point O where you wish to find the magnetic field.

Suppose OM is the line going from point O to point M (the line OM meets the wire at 90 degrees). Suppose you have another line OT, going from the point O to the wire and meeting it at point T (T is anywhere on the wire). Let @ be the angle TOM (the angle between OT and OM). NB: |@| < arctan(L/D)

Using the Biot Savart Law, the magnetic field contribution dB, due to the current element at point T is:

dB = μ/(4*pi) * I (dl x ř)/r^2 (NB: ř = r/|r|)
= (μ/(4*pi) * I / r^2) * sin(pi/2 - @) dl
= (μ/(4*pi) * I / r^2) cos@ dl

now dl = D*tan(d@) = D*sec^2(@)*d@, and r = D/cos@, so:
dB = (μ/(4*pi) * I / D^2) cos^3(@) * D * sec^2(@) d@
= μ/(4*pi) * I/D * cos@ d@

To find B, integrate dB from @=0 to @=arctan(L/D), and then double the result to get the answer (by symmetry).

B = 2 * μ/(4*pi) * I/D * Integral{0 -> arctan(L/D)} cos@ d@
= μ/(2*pi) * I/D * sin(arctan(L/D))
= μ/(2*pi) * IL /(D * sqrt(D^2 + L^2) )

Use this result. Side note: What do you notice when L is very large?

Last edited:

1. What are the different sources of magnetic fields?

The main sources of magnetic fields include permanent magnets, electric currents, and moving charged particles. Other sources include Earth's magnetic field, magnetic materials, and electromagnetic waves.

2. How do electric currents create magnetic fields?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it generates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the amount of current flowing through the wire.

3. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that produces its own magnetic field without the need for an external source of electricity. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire to produce a magnetic field.

4. How does Earth's magnetic field protect us?

Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield that protects us from harmful charged particles and radiation from the sun. It also helps guide migratory animals and aids in navigation.

5. Can magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic fields are not harmful to humans. However, exposure to extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found near power plants or MRI machines, can have adverse effects on the body. It is important to limit exposure to strong magnetic fields and follow safety guidelines when working with them.