Multiple Electron Spin Measurements

In summary, the conversation discusses the measurement of the z-component of an electron's spin and then the measurement of its spin along a direction making an angle θ with the z-axis. The equations for spin operators are provided as well as the attempt at finding the distinct spin values and probabilities for the second measurement. The conversation also suggests finding the eigenvectors for the spin matrix and using them to calculate the probability outcomes.
Uncertain Pen

Homework Statement

The z-component of the spin of an electron is measure and the value h-bar/2 is found. Immediately afterwards, the spin along a direction making an angle θ with the z-axis is measured. What are the possible outcomes of this second measurement and with which probabilities do they arise?

Homework Equations

None given, but I am working with the spin operators. The equations I have been dealing with are:

Spin measured about axis n:
n(dot)S = h-bar/2 * [ cosθ, sinθ*exp(i*phi); sinθ*exp(-i*phi), -cosθ] (2x2 matrix)

S|ψ> = h-bar/2 |ψ>

Spin about x,y,z axes:
S_x |ψ> = h-bar/2 [0, 1; -1, 0]
S_y |ψ> = h-bar/2 [0 -i; i, 0]
S_z |ψ> = h-bar/2 [1, 0; 0, -1]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I've applied the formula for spin about an axis, assuming phi = 0 (since only and angle of θ is mentioned in the description, I assume it is planar), getting

h-bar/2 * [cosθ, sinθ; sinθ, -cosθ]

However, from there, I'm not sure how to reduce this into distinct spin values, and the probabilities of each being chosen. If anyone could help to point me in the right direction here, I would be extremely grateful - thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Uncertain Pen. Welcome to PF!
Uncertain Pen said:
So far I've applied the formula for spin about an axis, assuming phi = 0 (since only and angle of θ is mentioned in the description, I assume it is planar), getting

h-bar/2 * [cosθ, sinθ; sinθ, -cosθ]

The two eigenvectors of this spin matrix will represent the states of spin up and spin down along the direction defined by θ. See if you can find them. Also think about how to write the state vector corresponding to the outcome of the first measurement (along the z-axis). Finally, think about how to use these three vectors to calculate the probability outcomes of the second measurement.

1. What is the purpose of conducting multiple electron spin measurements?

The purpose of multiple electron spin measurements is to determine the spin states of multiple electrons in a system. This information is crucial in understanding the electronic and magnetic properties of materials, and is essential in fields such as quantum computing and spintronics.

2. How are multiple electron spin measurements performed?

Multiple electron spin measurements are typically performed using techniques such as electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). These techniques involve applying a magnetic field to the sample and measuring the energy levels of the electrons, which can provide information about their spin states.

3. What types of materials are suitable for multiple electron spin measurements?

Multiple electron spin measurements can be performed on a wide range of materials, including solids, liquids, and gases. However, materials with unpaired electrons or magnetic properties are particularly suitable for this type of measurement.

4. What are the applications of multiple electron spin measurements?

Multiple electron spin measurements have many applications, including in materials science, chemistry, and physics. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI, and have potential applications in fields such as quantum computing and spintronics.

5. What are some challenges in conducting multiple electron spin measurements?

One of the main challenges in conducting multiple electron spin measurements is the sensitivity of the techniques used. The signals from the electrons can be very weak, making it difficult to accurately measure and interpret the data. Additionally, the interactions between multiple electrons can also complicate the measurements and analysis. Improvements in instrumentation and techniques are constantly being developed to overcome these challenges.