Please help me with this? Cell reproduction.

In summary, fission is a type of asexual cellular division that occurs in prokaryotes, while mitosis occurs in eukaryotes. Eukaryotes are also capable of fission, as seen in protozoan organisms. Amoebae reproduce through fission, but mitosis also takes place due to the presence of a nucleus. Some protozoan can also reproduce sexually through syngamy or conjugation.
reb
Please help me with this?? Cell reproduction.

Hi,
Can any1 tell me the difference between fission and mitosis in cell reproduction?

Also how do amobae reproduce?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Reb

Biology news on Phys.org
*takes a pot shot*

I'm just take a guess here..

Fission i believe is asexual cellular division of prokaryotes while mitosis is only occurs in eukaryotes.

As prokaryotes contain DNA arranged in a circular fashion, the process for DNA replication and division would be inherently different from eukaryotes which contain DNA within chormosomes.

edit - WOOT! Seems like I'm right http://www.emc.maricopa.edu/faculty/farabee/BIOBK/BioBookmito.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Originally posted by Jikx

Fission i believe is asexual cellular division of prokaryotes while mitosis is only occurs in eukaryotes.

this not totally rigth. Eukaryotes are also capable of fission. Protozoan can go through binary fission.

the definiton of binary fission is the asexual reproduction in which a cell or an organism separate into two cells. it is seen chiefly in unicellular organisms.

The definition for mitosis is the process taking place in the nucleus of a eukaryotic cell and results in the formation of two nuclei, each with the same number of chrosomosome as the parent. A method of indirect division of a cell.

The term mitosis is used interchangeably with cell division, but strictly speaking it refers to nuclear division, whereas cytokinesis refers to division of the cytoplasm. In some cells, as in many fungi and the fertilized eggs of many insects, nuclear division occurs within the cell unaccompanied by division of the cytoplasm and formation of daughter cells.

Originally posted by reb
Also how do amobae reproduce?

by fission but mitosis takes place because they have a nucleus. It is similar to that of human cell but with some minor difference.

Some protozoan can reproduce sexually by syngamy (union of gametes) by the process of conjugation or other means.

1. What is cell reproduction?

Cell reproduction is the process by which cells divide and create new cells. It is an essential biological process that allows organisms to grow, maintain their tissues, and repair damaged cells.

2. What are the different types of cell reproduction?

There are two types of cell reproduction: mitosis and meiosis. Mitosis is a type of cell division that produces two identical daughter cells, while meiosis is a type of cell division that produces four genetically different daughter cells.

3. Why is cell reproduction important?

Cell reproduction is important because it allows organisms to grow and develop, maintain their tissues, and repair damaged cells. It is also essential for the reproduction and survival of all living organisms.

4. How does cell reproduction occur?

Cell reproduction occurs through a series of steps, including DNA replication, cell division, and cytokinesis. During DNA replication, the cell's genetic material is duplicated. Then, during cell division, the duplicated DNA is divided equally between two daughter cells. Finally, cytokinesis occurs, which is the physical splitting of the cell into two new cells.

5. What can go wrong during cell reproduction?

There are a few things that can go wrong during cell reproduction, such as errors in DNA replication, mutations, and the formation of abnormal cells. These can lead to genetic disorders, cancer, and other health issues.