Free PCB Design Software - Experiences & Reviews

In summary, Some recommended freeware for designing PCB are ExpressPCB, Ultiboard from electronics Workbench, and Eagle from www.cadsoft.de. They all have a learning curve, but are capable options for creating 2-sided or larger multilayer PCBs.
temujin
Dear Group

Does anyone have experience with any good freeware for designing PCB?

regards
eirik

Engineering news on Phys.org
I have never used this one. Its called ExpressPCB
http://www.expresspcb.com/ExpressPCBHtm/Download.htm
I use Ultiboard from electronics Workbench. Just started using it.

Last edited:
temujin said:
Dear Group

Does anyone have experience with any good freeware for designing PCB?

regards
eirik

I pinged a friend of mine who uses a free package for his home startup company. Here's his reply:

I use Eagle from www.cadsoft.de. Eagle produces 2-sided PCBs about 3x4inches for free. As with any package, there is a learning curve to overcome, but it is a very capable package. I purchased the pro package so I can larger multilayer PCBs.

What are some popular free PCB design software options?

Some popular free PCB design software options include Eagle PCB, KiCad, and DesignSpark PCB.

How do I choose the right free PCB design software for my project?

To choose the right free PCB design software, consider factors such as your level of experience, the complexity of your project, and the features and capabilities offered by the software.

Are there any limitations to using free PCB design software?

While free PCB design software can be a great option for beginners or hobbyists, they may have limitations in terms of advanced features and technical support compared to paid software. Additionally, some free software may have restrictions on commercial use.

What are some key features to look for in free PCB design software?

Some key features to look for in free PCB design software include a user-friendly interface, a wide range of components and libraries, and compatibility with different operating systems and file formats.

Can I use free PCB design software for professional projects?

It is possible to use free PCB design software for professional projects, but it is important to carefully review the software's terms and conditions to ensure it allows for commercial use. Additionally, consider if the software has all the necessary features and capabilities for your project's requirements.