Probability (involving conditioning)

• Thread starter bennyska
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability that a drawn card from a half-deck is an ace after shuffling it and interchanging a card from the other half-deck is selected is the same as the probability of drawing an ace from the original half-deck, which is 1/26. This is because the interchange of the ace card does not affect the probability of drawing an ace from the second half-deck, since it is a random and independent event. The hint given to "condition on whether or not the interchanged card is selected" means to consider two separate cases, where the ace card is either selected or not selected for the interchange. There may be other ways to solve this problem, but the solution provided in the other thread is
bennyska

Homework Statement

a deck of cards is shuffled and then divided into two halves of 26 cards each. a card is drawn from one of the halves; it turns out to be an ace. the ace is then placed in the second half-deck. the half is then shuffled, and a card is drawn from it. compute the probability that this drawn card is an ace.
{hint: condition on whether or not the interchanged card is selected.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so at first, i was totally lost. i did a google search, and found another physicsforums thread that went over this question. (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=174152). the solution for the most part made sense to me. however, I'm confused by the original hint, condition on whether or not the interchanged card is selected. what exactly does that mean? and is there another way to solve the problem, other than the solution on the other page?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi bennyska! :wink:
bennyska said:
is there another way to solve the problem, other than the solution on the other page?

i doubt it :redface:
the solution for the most part made sense to me

hmm … "for the most part" ? :redface:

i think the best thing is for you to write out the proof (in your own words) as far as you can, and then we'll see where you're getting stuck! :smile:

(use the P(A|B) terminology)

What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the likelihood of an event occurring, given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated by dividing the probability of the joint occurrence of both events by the probability of the first event.

How is conditional probability different from regular probability?

Regular probability is the likelihood of an event occurring without any prior information or conditions. Conditional probability takes into account a specific condition or event that has already occurred and adjusts the probability accordingly.

What is Bayes' Theorem?

Bayes' Theorem is a mathematical formula that calculates the probability of an event based on prior knowledge or conditions. It takes into account both the prior probability of an event occurring and the likelihood of that event given new information.

How is Bayes' Theorem used in real-life situations?

Bayes' Theorem is commonly used in fields such as medicine, finance, and data science to make predictions and decisions based on available information. It can also be used to update the probability of an event as new information becomes available.

What is the difference between dependent and independent events in probability?

In probability, events are considered dependent if the outcome of one event affects the likelihood of the other event occurring. In contrast, independent events are not affected by the outcome of other events. Conditional probability is used to calculate the likelihood of dependent events.