Do we live in a black hole(or an white hole)

In summary: As far as we know, black holes are not "portals" into other realities or dimensions. Everything sucked up by a black hole is eventually radiated away as hawking radiation.
dxkiller
i had this science project in school on black holes and i came an article stating we live in a black hole theory link -----> http://www.technologyreview.com/view/419827/why-our-universe-must-have-been-born-inside-a-black-hole/
so i was thinking that if our universe is made up inside a black hole the black hole must be a black hole for the parent universe from where material has been sucked and for us a white hole because it spewed out all the material in another dimension(the one we exist in) causing the big bang and inflation thus our universe is expanding and at a certain point it would stop expanding because in our dimension things would be too much saturated and thus there would be a big crunch causing everything to collapse in a billion years or so thus turning into a singularty and a black hole which will spew our collapsed material out back into the parent universe ...
the question is is this theory possible ? pls don't mock me i was bad at physics and maths in juniour high school and i am also on medication for flu this migh be causing such thoughts

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, we do not live in a black hole. As far as we know, black holes are not "portals" into other realities or dimensions. Everything sucked up by a black hole is eventually radiated away as hawking radiation.

Drakkith said:
No, we do not live in a black hole. As far as we know, black holes are not "portals" into other realities or dimensions. Everything sucked up by a black hole is eventually radiated away as hawking radiation.
mmmm... but wasn't hawkin the one who said black holes don't exist

Likes Nittu88
dxkiller said:

I believe he said that black holes as commonly pictured don't exist. Not that they don't exist at all.

dxkiller said:
IIRC, the thing he argued for was that the event horizons of black holes may not exist. I have links to an article/the paper somewhere, I'll post them here when I've found them.

EDIT: Yes, it was the event horizons of black holes which he argued against;
"No Black Holes Exist, Says Stephen Hawking—At Least Not Like We Think" (National Geographic article)
Black holes do not have "event horizons" beyond which there is no return, according to renowned physicist.

Paper on arxiv: "Information Preservation and Weather Forecasting for Black Holes"
http://arxiv.org/abs/1401.5761

I have no knowledge about how this proposal has been received by the scientific community.

Last edited:
I may be a bit off...

But if memory serves, Isaac Asimov said that the larger a Black Hole becomes the less average density that it needs to be a Black Hole.

A black hole with a Scwartzchild (sp?) Radius the size of our best guess as to the size of our Universe—the Guesstimate they were using in the 70's or 80's—would only have to have an average density of one Hydrogen Atom per Cubic Yard of Space.

Guess what? That corresponds fairly closely to the observed density of our Universe.

It is a troublesome question how you could get the Matter through the event horizon without having it thoroughly shredded...

Someone over on the old Hyopography Forum said that if our Universe was a Black Hole, we'd never encounter our Singularity because the whole of our N-Space would be a contained in an (N+1)Hyper-Spherical Membrane surrounding the Singularity in an (N+1)-Dimensional Hyper-Spherical Event Horizon.

{I don't recall if he said "Our 3-Space" or "Our 4-Space"—Hence the "N" Space Weasel...}

Awful Esoteric.

Also, I understand that in theory there could be a Torus Shaped Black Hole with a large enough hole in the center for something to pass through without being captured or being ripped into pure energy.

It is also my understanding that describing what would happen to an object going through the hole involves some extraordinarily involved mathematics and in Theory, it just might end up in another Universe.

I can't do the Math and some of the old theories may now be discredited—and my memory is no longer even close to 100% reliable...

But take that for what it is worth...

Saxon Violence

Schwarzschild (from the German physicist).

The Schwarzschild solution (the easiest one that describes black holes) does not work for the universe as a whole, or dynamic things like an expanding universe.
We do not live in a black hole.

1. What is a black hole and how does it relate to our existence?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself at the end of its life. The concept of living in a black hole is a theoretical idea that suggests that our entire universe could be contained within the event horizon of a black hole.

2. What evidence is there to support the idea that we live in a black hole or a white hole?

There is currently no concrete evidence to support the idea that we live in a black hole or a white hole. It is purely a theoretical concept that is based on mathematical equations and models. However, some scientists argue that the concept of black holes and white holes could help explain certain unexplained phenomena in our universe, such as the expansion of the universe and the behavior of black holes.

3. Is it possible for us to ever know for sure if we live in a black hole?

It is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to confirm or disprove the idea that we live in a black hole or a white hole. The event horizon of a black hole, which is the point of no return, prevents any information from escaping. This means that we cannot observe or study what is happening inside a black hole, making it impossible to confirm if our universe exists within one.

4. Can we escape from a black hole or a white hole?

According to current understandings of physics, it is not possible to escape from a black hole once you have entered its event horizon. However, the concept of white holes suggests that there may be a way to exit a black hole and enter into a new universe. This is purely theoretical and has not been proven.

5. What implications would living in a black hole or a white hole have on our understanding of the universe?

If we were to discover that our universe exists within a black hole or a white hole, it would fundamentally change our understanding of the universe. It would challenge our current theories and models, and require us to rethink our understanding of space, time, and the laws of physics. It would also have significant implications for the fate of our universe and the possibility of other universes existing within black holes.