Fundamentals of Physics Question 54

In summary: Therefore, the initial velocity of the first stone is 0 m/s. Using the equation s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time, we can find the acceleration of both stones to be -9.8 m/s^2 (assuming downward is positive). Since both stones strike the water at the same time, their time of flight (t) must be the same. Thus, using the equation v = u + at, we can solve for the initial velocity (u) of the second stone to be -14.5 m/s. In summary, the initial velocity of the first stone is 0 m/s and
kmshowalter

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped into a river from a bridge 47.0 m above the water. Another stone is thrown vertically down 1.48 s after the first is dropped. Both stones strike the water at the same time. What is the initial speed of the second stone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not understanding is how to find the initial velocity of the first stone. I'm pretty sure you need that to figure out the initial speed of the second stone. At first I thought I needed to do 47/1.48s but when I did that I realized I didn't understand what that number would even represent. I know that I need an equation that will give me the time for both stones.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
kmshowalter said:

Homework Statement

A stone is dropped into a river from a bridge 47.0 m above the water. Another stone is thrown vertically down 1.48 s after the first is dropped. Both stones strike the water at the same time. What is the initial speed of the second stone?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I'm not understanding is how to find the initial velocity of the first stone. I'm pretty sure you need that to figure out the initial speed of the second stone. At first I thought I needed to do 47/1.48s but when I did that I realized I didn't understand what that number would even represent. I know that I need an equation that will give me the time for both stones.

When something is "dropped" it is assumed to be released from rest. When something is "thrown" it is given some initial velocity.

1. What is the topic of "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54"?

"Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" is a specific question within the larger subject of physics, which is the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. What is the purpose of "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54"?

The purpose of "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" is to test the understanding and application of fundamental principles and concepts in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy.

3. Is "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" a difficult question?

The difficulty of "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" can vary depending on the individual's level of understanding and familiarity with the topic. However, it is designed to challenge and assess one's knowledge and problem-solving skills in physics.

4. Can "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" be solved using a formula?

"Fundamentals of Physics Question 54" may require the use of formulas and equations to arrive at a solution, but it also requires a conceptual understanding of the underlying principles and their application.

5. How can I prepare for "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54"?

To prepare for "Fundamentals of Physics Question 54", it is important to review and understand the fundamental concepts and principles in physics, practice solving problems similar to the question, and seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed.