Circuitous definition of charge ?

In summary, charge is a property of particles and is measured by how they behave electrostatically. It does not have a strict definition like force does and is described in terms of interactions. The equations provided in the conversation are for different situations and should not be used together when trying to find physical relations. It is important to start with the physics rather than the mathematics.
SpaceNerdz
Hello, I've been trying to pin-point the precise definition of charge, but I'm having difficulty. I asked my Professor at college what 'charge' is exactly, and he thought carefully for about a minute, and replied that he really has no idea.

The best I can come up with is the following serious of arguments :

1) q= it

Charge is current and the time it takes that current to move, which begs the question:what is current?

2) i = V/R

Current is the potential drop V across a resistor R. So what is a potential drop ?

3) V= kq/r

Potential drop is the the movement of charge q across free space k in a distance r.

I think you can begin to see the circuitous reasoning here. This eventually leads to :

V=kq/r
V=kit/r
V=[k(V/R)t]/r
V=(krt/R)V

... just by algebraic reasoning.

Help ! What did I do wrong, and can someone seriously answer the question on what a 'charge' really is -- I mean I know a charge has positive and negative, and field lines flow into negative etc, but what is a charge ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Charge is the measure of the amount that a substance behaves electrostatically.
i.e. it is a phenomenon, not a thing as such.

However - charge does not have a definition in the sense that force has. It is a material property that we describe in terms of interactions. It's like asking for a definition of space or matter.

Your three equations are for different situations, so they should not be used together.
To find physical relations, first start with the physics, not the maths.

Charge is a property of particles. By definition, an electron has a negative charge (with some arbitrary fraction of a Coulomb assigned to it), the other particle charges then follow from observation.

What is the circuitous definition of charge?

The circuitous definition of charge is the property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It is a fundamental property of matter and is typically measured in units of coulombs (C).

How does the circuitous definition of charge relate to electricity?

The circuitous definition of charge is closely related to electricity, as it is the movement of charged particles that creates electric currents. The flow of these charged particles, known as electrons, is what powers electrical devices and systems.

What are the different types of charges?

There are two types of charges: positive and negative. These charges are based on the presence or absence of electrons. Objects with an excess of electrons have a negative charge, while objects with a deficiency of electrons have a positive charge.

How is charge conserved in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, charge is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed. This is known as the law of conservation of charge. In other words, the total amount of charge in a closed system remains constant, even if it is transferred or redistributed among objects within the system.

What are the effects of charge on matter?

The presence of charge can have various effects on matter, including attraction or repulsion between charged objects, electrostatic discharge, and the generation of electric fields. It also plays a crucial role in chemical reactions, as the movement of electrons between atoms is what forms bonds and creates compounds.