Resistive circuit - ladder problem

In summary: It's because of the symmetry of the circuit. Whenever you add or remove resistors, the circuit remains the same due to the symmetry. Therefore, the equivalent resistance will also remain the same.
Rectifier
Gold Member
Hey!
1. The problem
Figure shows a very long ladder where every part has a resistanse of R. What is the resistance between A and B if the ladder can be approximated to be semi-infinite (the ladder has a beginning but no end).2.The figure
IOobaQp.png
3. The attempt
The first three resistances have a resistance of 3R the next step add 3R in parallel to R. The next step after that provides 3 more resistances in parallel with on of the resistances in step two.

Step 1: ##3R## [##2R+\frac {3R}{3}##]
Step 2: ##\frac{3R \cdot R}{R+3R}+2R=2R+\frac{3R}{4}##
Step 3: ##2R+\frac{3R}{5}##
Step 4: ##2R+\frac{3R}{6}##
Step 5: ##2R+\frac{3R}{7}##

There is a pattern here. Namely
##Rab=2R+\frac {3R}{2+n}## for n> 0 and n being integer.

The answere is 2.73 but i get 2.000... something for high values on n.

Please help me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to recalculate step 3

There was one of these questions just recently. The technique for solving it involves drawing a vertical line and saying the resistance to the right of that line equals the resistance seen from terminals A and B. Let's call it M. You can redraw the circuit so it looks much simpler now, and solve for M.

Likes 1 person
phinds said:
You might want to recalculate step 3

Is this right for step 3?
## \frac{41R}{15}##

NascentOxygen said:
There was one of these questions just recently. The technique for solving it involves drawing a vertical line and saying the resistance to the right of that line equals the resistance seen from terminals A and B. Let's call it M. You can redraw the circuit so it looks much simpler now, and solve for M.

I am not that I have heared of this technique before. I will try to use it anyway. At what "step" should I draw the line?

Btw, is there a name for it so I can read more about it?

Rectifier said:
I am not that I have heared of this technique before. I will try to use it anyway. At what "step" should I draw the line?
Draw it where the network remaining to its right will look exactly like the network you started with.

Btw, is there a name for it so I can read more about it?
I can't think of a good name for it right now.

We think the way that the resultant resistance X does not change if one unit of the ladder is added or removed from the infinite number of units. See picture of the ladder and the equivalent circuit. Solve for x.

ehild

Attachments

• ladderres.JPG
    ladderres.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 579
Likes 1 person
NascentOxygen said:
Draw it where the network remaining to its right will look exactly like the network you started with. I can't think of a good name for it right now.

Thank you for the reply.

Okay. Let's say I draw a vertical line at step 2 "above" the resistor that is connected in parallell with the rest of the crcuit. Now I am left with 2 identical circuits.

How do I continue now?

The technique is called: realizing you have the same situation if you cut off the leftmost three resistors. So apparently the whole thing has the same resistance as 2R + R//(the whole thing).

// meaning: parallel to in my sloppy notation

(If you are as lazy as I am, you want to draw the line at the first step where it makes sense, but not so far as to cause more work than absolutely necessary).

I don't have a good word for the approach: assume you know the answer and work backwards isn't good enough. Someone else ?

Likes 1 person
Thank you for your replies I will read and comment back in some minutes.

EDIT:
I will have a lecture now and I will ask the professor if he has time. Sorry that I am being dumb on this one.

Last edited:
Rectifier said:
Thank you for the reply.

Okay. Let's say I draw a vertical line at step 2 "above" the resistor that is connected in parallell with the rest of the crcuit. Now I am left with 2 identical circuits.

How do I continue now?
Let's say the total resistance of the circuit on the right is equivalent to a resistance M.

You can also say that when you add 3 resistors to that resistor M you make a circuit which again has an equivalent resistance M.

Solve for M. :smile:

Perhaps this approach could be called a recursive technique! :approve:

Re technique: at some point I learned to deal with geometric series, e.g.$$S =1+{1\over2}+{1\over 4} + {1\over 8} + \dots$$and the way to tackle them is to distinguish that $${1\over 2}S = {1\over2}+{1\over 4} + {1\over 8} + \dots$$so that $$S = 1+ {S\over 2}$$see the analogy ?

Rectifier said:
## \frac{41R}{15}##

No, it's not what I get. How about you show your work (in detail, step by step, and DRAW the exact circuit you are analyzing in that step)

Likes 1 person
Rectifier said:
## \frac{41R}{15}##

Yes, it is right.
What is the next?

Evaluating the results, you have a sequence 3R, 2.75R, 2.733R ... They appear to tend somewhere.:biggrin: The differences get smaller and smaller. At the end, the difference between the last two elements of the sequence is so small that they can be considered the same.
If you have the nth term, the n+1th is Rn+1=2R+RRn/(R+Rn), and at the end you can consider Rn+1=Rn. What do you get for Rn?

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, it is right.

Damn. I guess *I* must have made a mistake. Perhaps you can show me where I went wrong.

OOPS. NEVER MIND. I just didn't expand it the way you did. We agree.

https://www.physicsforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=4839495

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 538
Last edited by a moderator:
phinds said:
OOPS. NEVER MIND. I just didn't expand it the way you did. We agree.

I am glad to hear. :smile:

ehild

NascentOxygen said:
Let's say the total resistance of the circuit on the right is equivalent to a resistance M.

You can also say that when you add 3 resistors to that resistor M you make a circuit which again has an equivalent resistance M.
This is what my professor told me too. But I don't understand why you get the same resistance when you add stuff :,(.

ehild said:
the resultant resistance X does not change if one unit of the ladder is added or removed
ehild
Thanks for the comment.

Why not? :eek:

BvU said:
The technique is called: realizing you have the same situation if you cut off the leftmost three resistors. So apparently the whole thing has the same resistance as 2R + R//(the whole thing).

Here it is again :eek:
Cant get it to add up like that in my head.

I read the thread more careful and found the answer to my question above in a thread above.

"At the end, the difference between the last two elements of the sequence is so small that they can be considered the same."

##R_{ab}=R+R//R_{ab}+R \\ R_{ab}=2R+\frac{R \cdot R_{ab}}{R+R_{ab}} \\ R_{ab}(R+R_{ab})=2R(R+R_{ab})+R \cdot R_{ab} \\ R_{ab} \cdot R+R_{ab}^2=2R^2+2R_{ab}\cdot R+R \cdot R_{ab} \\ R_{ab}^2=2R^2+2R_{ab}\cdot R \\ 2R^2+2R_{ab}\cdot R-R_{ab}^2=0 \\ ##

Solve for ##R_{ab}## where ##R_{ab}>0##

##R_{ab}^2-2 R \cdot R_{ab}-2R^2=0 \\ R_{ab}= R \pm \sqrt{R^2+2R^2} \\ R_{ab}= R \pm R\sqrt{3}##

##R_{ab}= (1 + \sqrt{3})R ## since ## R_{ab}= (1 - \sqrt{3})R ## is undefiened.

Yey! :D It is the right answer.

Last edited:
Only the + sign gives valid solution. Rab can not be negative. But you have solved it! Congratulation!

The sequence of resistances, as you calculated them, converges very fast to (1+√3)R = 2.7320R. The fourth is 2.7321R already.

ehild

Likes 1 person
BvU said:
Re technique: at some point I learned to deal with geometric series, e.g.$$S =1+{1\over2}+{1\over 4} + {1\over 8} + \dots$$and the way to tackle them is to distinguish that $${1\over 2}S = {1\over2}+{1\over 4} + {1\over 8} + \dots$$so that $$S = 1+ {S\over 2}$$see the analogy ?

No, sorry. I am not so farsighted :,(. I guess it something similar with my series of resistances. I am afraid I am not that good at series.

$$S = 1+ {S\over 2}$$ is true indeed. I couldn't have seen that from the equation.

Thank you to all of you who took their time and helped me. I really appreciate that.

Rectifier said:
This is what my professor told me too. But I don't understand why you get the same resistance when you add stuff :,(.
Well, if you added some resistance in series with the input you would increase the resistance, and if you added some resistance in parallel you would decrease the resistance, so if you add some of both---correctly chosen---you can reproduce the same resistance!

1. What is a resistive circuit?

A resistive circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of only resistive elements, such as resistors, and does not contain any capacitors or inductors. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of current and voltage.

2. What is a ladder problem in a resistive circuit?

A ladder problem in a resistive circuit refers to a type of circuit where there are multiple resistors connected in a series or parallel configuration, resembling a ladder-like structure. These circuits can be solved using various techniques, such as Kirchhoff's laws and the voltage divider rule.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a ladder problem?

The total resistance in a ladder problem can be calculated by adding the individual resistances of each resistor in a series circuit, or by using the appropriate formula for parallel circuits. In some cases, the combination of series and parallel resistors may require the use of a more complex formula, such as the equivalent resistance formula.

4. What is the purpose of solving a ladder problem in a resistive circuit?

The main purpose of solving a ladder problem in a resistive circuit is to determine the equivalent resistance of the circuit. This value can then be used to calculate the current, voltage, and power in the circuit, allowing for better design and analysis of the circuit.

5. What are some common applications of resistive circuits?

Resistive circuits are commonly used in a wide range of electronic devices, including household appliances, computers, and mobile phones. They are also used in power distribution systems, electric motors, and lighting systems. In addition, resistive circuits are used in various industries, such as telecommunications, automotive, and aerospace, for different purposes such as signal processing, temperature regulation, and power control.