Need help with Summer/Fall classes

• Thread starter rocomath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary: I also want to take Intermediate Analysis, but I am unsure if that is a pre-req for Advanced Linear Algebra I or not.Abstract Algebra 3330 24198 Siemion Fajtlowicz MWF 10:00-11:00 (If I don't take this in the summer, should I take this in the Fall and not take Intermediate Analysis?)Probability 3338 24216 Emmanouil Papadakis MWF 12:00-1:00Differential Equations 3331 24202 Edward Dean TTH 11:30-1:00 (I really want to take this course)Introduction
rocomath
Need help with Summer/Fall classes :(

WOW ... UH has the worst schedule system ever! Ok, so I'm transferring to a University this year. I would really love to get advice on what courses to take.

Background: I started studying Mathematics around 2 years ago at the age of 21, so I didnt grow up thinking "mathematically." I really enjoy math, and I've pushed myself hard to self-study past courses I didn't take seriously. I've been tutoring math at my college for a year now. I have a strong Algebra-Trigonometry-Calculus foundation, and my only weak subject (precalculus) is Geometry, and so I am planning on self-studying it this summer. I am very textbook, I read everything; I do the examples and proofs. I have taken Calculus 1, 2, and 3. I'm hard working and I do not use a solution's manual, I've learned the importance of thinking for myself! I usually won't ask for help till I've spent a few hours on a problem.

Ok, I would like to take the following courses: I have also outlined the days/times ... I really cannot believe some of these courses start when one ends. Also, I plan on working at least 20 hrs a week and private tutoring.

Course Number Section Professor Days Time

Summer 1 & 2: It's a must for me to take Linear Algebra because it's a pre-req for so many of my Fall courses. I'm still debating on Abstract Algebra, but I think it would be wise for me to take this class to get my brain thinking "abstract" since the only math I've been exposed to is problem solving.

Linear Algebra I 2331 25188 Edward Dean MTWTH 10:00-12:00

Abstract Algebra 3330 19846 Matthew O'Malley MTWTH 10:00-12:00

Fall: I think my best choices are Advanced Linear Algebra I, Differential Equations, Intermediate Analysis, and Vector Analysis. I have never taken a Probability or Statistics course, but if I Probability fits my schedule, I am willing to self-study from the Intro. to Prob/Stat book (I don't think I will be taking it since ev1 keeps telling me it's too easy. My co-worker told me not to take it either, it would be a waste of money.)

Abstract Algebra 3330 24198 Siemion Fajtlowicz MWF 10:00-11:00 (If I don't take this in the summer, should I take this in the Fall and not take Intermediate Analysis?)
Probability 3338 24216 Emmanouil Papadakis MWF 12:00-1:00
Discrete Mathematics 3336 24212 Siemion Fajtlowicz MW 1:00-2:30 (Should I couple this with Abstract Algebra?)
Intermediate Analysis 3333 24206 Gordon Johnson MW 2:30-4:00 (Abstract Algebra + Discrete Mathematics and save this course for Spring? But this is a pre-req for Adv. Multi-variable Calculus!)

or

Advanced Linear Algebra I 4383 24270 John Hardy TTH 10:00-11:30 (I think it would be best to take this course after taking Linear Algebra in the summer)
Probability 3338 24218 Fabien Marpeau TTH 10:00-11:30
Vector Analysis 3335 24210 Richard Sanders TTH 10:00-11:30 (I've been introduced to Vectors in Precalculus, Physics, and Calculus 3.)
Differential Equations 3331 24202 Edward Dean TTH 11:30-1:00 (I really want to take this course)
Introduction to Fixed Income Math 3340 32295 James Auchmuty TTH 11:30-1:00 (I want to go to grad. school for Finance)
Intermediate Analysis 3333 24202 Giovanna Guidoboni TTH 1:00-2:30

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A few points I have from reading through your post (I'm not going to be very much use on advising you what to take, since I'm not from the US, and so don't know regulations etc..)

1. If you want to go to grad school to do finance, I strongly suggest taking as much probability and statistics as you can throughout your undergraduate studies.

2. What do you mean when you say you'll be "working 20 hours per week"? Is this the amount of time you intend to put into your studies outside of class, or is this other, paid work you are talking about? If the latter, then I don't see how you can do this, tutor and undertake a maths degree, full time.

Thank you for responding cristo! I was supposed to see an adviser today, but I found out they don't do any advising on Fridays. (I was so mad b/c the person who picked up on me yest., said they would be.)

1. You're definitely right, I just don't know if it's worth taking the Introduction course bc I hear it is really easy, and it does not apply towards my degree. I think the best thing for me to do is just to self-study it?

2. I really do want to keep tutoring, whether it's with UH or privately. It's practically my only social life, and I enjoy meeting people on the job. I meant 20 hrs working, is this really too much?

Fall/Spring - Summer (Tutoring hours, I'm hoping to get squeezed in!)

Monday 9am - 6pm Monday 9am - 5pm
Tuesday 9am - 6pm Tuesday 9am - 5pm
Wednesday 9am - 7pm Wednesday 9am - 5pm
Thursday 9am - 7pm Thursday 9am - 5pm
Friday 9am - 2pm Friday 9am - 2pm

I plan on taking either 3 or 4 courses in the Fall.

I think this is my best option: Abstract Algebra or Discrete Mathematics? I honestly have no clue what the difference is. Reading the description, I think I would like Discrete Mathematics a lot more.

Discrete Mathematics 3336 24212 Siemion Fajtlowicz MW 1:00-2:30

Differential Equations 3331 24202 Edward Dean TTH 11:30-1:00

Not taking Differential Equations will screw me over for Advanced Multivariable Calculus, Intro to PDE (obviously), and Intro to Complex Analysis. But once again, my courses are running into each other :(

rocomath said:
Thank you for responding cristo! I was supposed to see an adviser today, but I found out they don't do any advising on Fridays. (I was so mad b/c the person who picked up on me yest., said they would be.)
LOL; I see admin isn't any better that side of the point either!

1. You're definitely right, I just don't know if it's worth taking the Introduction course bc I hear it is really easy, and it does not apply towards my degree. I think the best thing for me to do is just to self-study it?
The only thing I'd be careful of is if it's a pre-requisite for any future classes you may want to take. Although, looking at your course catalogue (university of houston, right?) why not take 3341, applied probability- this touches on applications to financial maths)

2. I really do want to keep tutoring, whether it's with UH or privately. It's practically my only social life, and I enjoy meeting people on the job. I meant 20 hrs working, is this really too much?
I'm not saying don't do tutoring, I just mean that if you work 20 hours, tutor, and do a full time maths degree you'll have a hard time. (I'm still not sure what you mean by work-- as in, you work and get paid doing some part time job, or do you mean study?)
I think this is my best option: Abstract Algebra or Discrete Mathematics? I honestly have no clue what the difference is. Reading the description, I think I would like Discrete Mathematics a lot more.
I think you'll have to decide which of these you want to take!

You can take both of these can't you? They are one after the other-- it's only 3 hours of class!

Sorry, I haven't been clear about my work. I will be working as a Math Tutor for UH/CASA (hopefully) and I will be getting paid. I am not sure how many hours they will give me, but I hope it will be at least 10 hours, but I doubt they would give me near 20 hours.

I'm looking into Abstract Algebra in the Summer, then Discrete Mathematics in the Fall.

Discrete Mathematics 3336 24212 Siemion Fajtlowicz MW 1:00-2:30

Well, I have all the pre-req. to take Probability and Applied Probability, but do you think it would be pointless to do Prob then Applied Prob?

Last edited:
Oh you know what, I didn't even ask about Applied Prob b/c I don't think anyone is teaching it Fall. So either way, my only option is Probability.

Now I'm debating over Advanced Linear Algebra I vs Vector Analysis

Advanced Linear Algebra I 4383 24270 John Hardy TTH 10:00-11:30
or
Vector Analysis 3335 24210 Richard Sanders TTH 10:00-11:30

Intermediate Analysis 3333 24204 Giovanna Guidoboni TTH 1:00-2:30

Last edited:
I think tutoring for around ten or so hours a week would be manageable. Just make sure that it doesn't affect your studies, or the rest of your life. Having a social life is an important part of college.

It seems you are trying to cram in as many math courses as possible. Relax a bit. It is never a wise thing to go into so many advance courses at once when you haven't been exposed to advance courses before. Just take two or three in the fall. Once you become more mathematically mature you will be able to handle more math class. I just don't want you to burn out before you even start. I've seen it happen and it's sad.

Hey PowerIso, I've decided on these courses:

Summer - Linear Algebra & Abstract Algebra

Fall - Vector Analysis, Differential Equations, and Intermediate Analysis

Would this be ideal?

Well, i personally wouldn't go with Linear and Abstract algebra concurrently during the summer. Are you going to have to take them during the same summer term, or separately, and how long does one term last? I am taking these courses concurrently with calc II during the next fall. Linear Algebra and Abstract Algebra in particular, i don't know how they are presented at your university, but in my university are the first courses one encounters real math, in the sens that they are supposed to be completely proof based ones, so allowing youself a certain amount of time to let these concepts sink in would be a great idea.I personally wouldn't like to rush upon these courses, since in some sens i think they set your foundations for future math. It is just my opinion though, since i don't really have that much of an experience!

But, it sounds like a good chooice though!

Hey sutupidmath, I appreciate your reply! I am not taking both Linear & Abstract Algebra concurrently. 1st summer LA then 2nd summer AA, and last 6-weeks. It is really important for me to do wel my first semester, there is no doubt about that!

I am more than willing to self-study, do you have any recommendations to help me prepare for real math?

rocomath said:
I am more than willing to self-study, do you have any recommendations to help me prepare for real math?
I really don't know what to say about that, since i haven't yet taken those courses. All my proof-skills are self-taught and self built. But i guess that trying to first breake down proofs that you see in the books to their fundamental parts, and then trying to understand how they work together to built the whole is a good idea. Then trying to do the same procedures without looking at the book, and see if you can use logically the key facts in doing those proofs.

And i agree with what PowerIso said. I also think it is not a great idea to take three "advanced" math courses concurrently if you haven't been exposed to completely proof based math before.

Having your first exposition to advance mathematics in a rushed summer course doesn't seem like fun. If you insist on summer, I would suggest linear algebra and differential equations, since they tend to lean towards the lighter side.

Vector analysis isn't shabby. Reading your course catalog about intermediate Analysis, it doesn't seem to bad, I guess it seems like my intro to Real Analysis course I took.

I agree with sutupidmath about letting the material sink. In Abstract algebra, you'll have a lot of new concepts thrown at you with a lot of unfamiliar terms and definitions. It can turn out to be pretty ugly if you become rushed and do not take the time to actually learn what Abstract Algebra really is. I highly suggest you take that during the regular semester.

6 weeks of abstract algebra only is definitely doable. If you commit to reviewing every MTW so you fully understand every lecture before moving onto the next, then you'll do fine. I googled an outline of this course. The content of E1 is just fundamental background. The content of E2 and E3 are more intense in that you have to memorize new definitions as well as form intuitions about them. I think this is much easier with group theory than ring or field theory. It looks like your course doesn't even go into any theory about rings or fields, so it's manageable.

So you shouldn't have to do any special preparation prior to Abstract Algebra.

PowerIso said:
Having your first exposition to advance mathematics in a rushed summer course doesn't seem like fun. If you insist on summer, I would suggest linear algebra and differential equations, since they tend to lean towards the lighter side.

Vector analysis isn't shabby. Reading your course catalog about intermediate Analysis, it doesn't seem to bad, I guess it seems like my intro to Real Analysis course I took.

I agree with sutupidmath about letting the material sink. In Abstract algebra, you'll have a lot of new concepts thrown at you with a lot of unfamiliar terms and definitions. It can turn out to be pretty ugly if you become rushed and do not take the time to actually learn what Abstract Algebra really is. I highly suggest you take that during the regular semester.
I really want to take DE in the summer, but it's only being offered 1st half, which is when LA is only offered. I need to take LA b4 DE, so sucks for me. I appreciate your comments about Abstract Algebra.

This is what I think would be best suited for me. I would really love to just private tutor and work 2nd half summer, and also self study Introduction to Probability & Statistics b/c so many people need tutors for this course, it's a gold mine! I am thinking in the Fall I should take: Abstract Algebra, Differential Equations, and booting Intermediate Analysis out for a Finance course or Advanced LA I. I really want to take Vector Analysis, but I think it will be okay to couple it with Advanced Multivariable Calculus in the Spring.

Summer: Linear Algebra then Tutor all 2nd summer

Fall: Abstract Algebra (get an introduction to Proofs), Differential Equations, Finance course or if I can't find one, I'll take Advanced Linear Algebra I

Spring: Intermediate Analysis, Advanced Multivariable Calculus, and Vector Analysis

mutton said:
6 weeks of abstract algebra only is definitely doable. If you commit to reviewing every MTW so you fully understand every lecture before moving onto the next, then you'll do fine. I googled an outline of this course. The content of E1 is just fundamental background. The content of E2 and E3 are more intense in that you have to memorize new definitions as well as form intuitions about them. I think this is much easier with group theory than ring or field theory. It looks like your course doesn't even go into any theory about rings or fields, so it's manageable.

So you shouldn't have to do any special preparation prior to Abstract Algebra.
MATH 3330: Abstract Algebra
Cr. 3. (3-0). Prerequisite: MATH 2331 (formerly 2431). Introduction to groups, rings, and fields.

http://www.uh.edu/academics/catalog/nsm/math_courses.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going by the pages at http://www.math.uh.edu/~frosro/ [Broken]
Your prof may very well cover more material.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I have an update for my Fall courses: I have seen an adviser and I am majoring in Math with a minor in Finance.

This summer I am taking Linear Algebra I & Accounting Principles I - Financial.

Fall:

Accounting Principles II - Managerial
Differential Equations
Intermediate Analysis
Advanced Linear Algebra I

Originally I only planned for 3, but I did not realize that wasn't enough to be full-time. Any suggestions?

Go ahead and take Abstract Algebra in the fall as well. It will pair nicely with Advanced Linear Alg.

Vid said:
Go ahead and take Abstract Algebra in the fall as well. It will pair nicely with Advanced Linear Alg.
LOL, no way! That's 5 courses :p I want to be able to work too. I'll save that one for next semester, hehe.

But how does it pair up nicely?

What are the most common challenges students face when taking Summer/Fall classes?

Some of the most common challenges students face when taking Summer/Fall classes include time management, workload, and balancing multiple classes or commitments. Students may also struggle with staying motivated and focused during the summer when there are more distractions.

How can I effectively manage my time while taking Summer/Fall classes?

To effectively manage your time, it is important to create a schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your assignments and tasks, and make sure to set aside specific times for studying and completing coursework. It may also be helpful to seek out resources such as time management tools or study groups to stay on track.

What should I do if I am struggling with a particular subject in my Summer/Fall classes?

If you are struggling with a particular subject, it is important to seek help as soon as possible. Talk to your professor or TA, attend office hours, or seek out tutoring services. It may also be beneficial to form a study group with classmates to work through difficult material together.

How can I balance taking multiple classes or commitments during the Summer/Fall?

To balance multiple classes or commitments, it is important to prioritize and create a schedule. Make sure to set aside specific times for each class and commitment, and communicate with your professors or supervisors about any conflicts or challenges. It may also be helpful to delegate tasks and seek support from friends or family.

What can I do to stay motivated and focused during the Summer/Fall semester?

To stay motivated and focused during the Summer/Fall semester, it is important to set realistic goals and remind yourself of why you are taking these classes. Find ways to make the material relevant and interesting to you, and take breaks when needed to avoid burnout. Surround yourself with supportive friends and family who can help keep you accountable and motivated.