Flying through volcanic ash can be dangerous for aircraft and passengers.

In summary, Lisa was flying from Alaska to Seattle when Mt. Redoubt erupted and released a thick ash plume. The ash was so thick that it affected everyone's eyes and caused grit in teeth. The flight went on without incident, but Lisa wonders if it would have been safe to fly through the ash plume.
lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This isn't purely an Earth science question, but I don't know where else to post it. Recently, the Kasatochi volcano erupted in Alaska. It brought to mind something that happened to me a long time ago that I have always wondered about.

In 1989 I was flying from Alaska to Seattle. Days earlier, Mt Redoubt - a volcano in the Aleutian chain - had a big eruption. Most flights out of Anchorage were canceled but I was surprised that my flight was scheduled to go.

Just minutes into the flight, the cabin was filled with airborne ash. It was so thick that it bothered everyone's eyes and if you ground your teeth together, you could feel the grit. I recall a slight sulfur smell.

It only lasted maybe 10 seconds. The flight went on without incident.

I always wondered were ever really in danger? What's the protocol for flying through a volcano plume?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
No way should you fly through volcanic ash, there was a famous incident where an aircraft lost all engine power and had to glide for miles.

Yes, I figured it wasn't safe. It was actually terrifying. Can't a plume be seen on radar?

Wow, that is very scary Lisab. I wonder why the pilot would take such a risk.

lisab said:
Yes, I figured it wasn't safe. It was actually terrifying. Can't a plume be seen on radar?

It seems not

http://www.geo.mtu.edu/department/classes/ge404/gcmayber/intro.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Were you flying KLM, Lisa?

Check:

http://www.alpa.org/DesktopModules/...View.aspx?itemid=1470&ModuleId=1316&Tabid=256

On Dec. 15, 1989, a KLM Boeing 747 flew into the ash plume from Alaska's Mt. Redoubt and similarly lost power from all four engines within less than a minute. The pilots were able to restart the engines, but could not obtain full power. The pilots landed the airplane safely at Anchorage despite their windshield being sandblasted so badly that they could only see out of a small portion of it.

Didn't look at the link yet, but does it say anything about the ash getting inside the passenger compartment? I would think that in a pressurised cabin, the quality of the outside air could not effect people's eyes or cause grit in their teeth. Maybe what you all experienced was ash from the recent eruption that got into the cabin while the plane was on the ground, and ti settled into the ventilation system, only to get blown back out into the cabin when the system was turned on. You say it atsrted just minutes into the flight, maybe that's the time it took to get out of the vents and into your face.

LURCH said:
Didn't look at the link yet, but does it say anything about the ash getting inside the passenger compartment? I would think that in a pressurised cabin, the quality of the outside air could not effect people's eyes or cause grit in their teeth. Maybe what you all experienced was ash from the recent eruption that got into the cabin while the plane was on the ground, and ti settled into the ventilation system, only to get blown back out into the cabin when the system was turned on. You say it atsrted just minutes into the flight, maybe that's the time it took to get out of the vents and into your face.

Hmmm...I guess that makes sense! It was odd to me, too, how it got into the cabin. I suppose it may have been in the ventillation system somehow.

LURCH said:
I believe commercial airliners take some of the air from the engine compressors, and that's why one will smell the fuel odor in the cabin when the doors are closed and the engines are started. The compressors obviously suck in the local air. Similarly in an ash cloud, the dust would find its way into the cabin.

Ash would certainly be detrimental to the compressor and turbine blades, and mess with the fuel/air mixing in the combustors, as well as accumulate in the hot areas of the engine.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/Hazards/Effects/Ash+Aircraft.html
Ash Reduces Engine Performance and May Cause Engine Failure

Ash ingested by jet engines may lead to the immediate deterioration in engine performance and engine failure. The principal cause of engine failure is the deposition of ash in the hot sections of the engine. Glass from melting volcanic ash will coat fuel nozzles, the combustor, and turbine, which reduces the efficiency of fuel mixing and restricts air passing through the engine. This causes surging, flame out, and immediate loss of engine thrust. Ash may also seriously erode moving engine parts, including the compressor and turbine blades, which reduces the efficiency of the engine.

1. What are the potential risks of flying through volcano ash?

Flying through volcano ash can pose several risks to both the aircraft and passengers. The ash particles can damage the aircraft engines, causing them to fail. The ash can also cause visibility issues for pilots, making it difficult to navigate. Additionally, the ash can clog air filters and affect the electronic systems on board.

2. How does volcano ash affect aircraft engines?

The ash particles in volcano ash are very fine and can easily enter the aircraft engines. Once inside, the particles can melt and form a glass-like substance, which can cause damage to the engine components. This can lead to engine failure and potentially catastrophic consequences.

3. Can airplanes fly over volcano ash plumes?

It is generally recommended for airplanes to avoid flying over or through volcano ash plumes. However, in some cases, pilots may choose to fly through a plume if it is not too dense and they have received clearance from air traffic control. This decision is made on a case-by-case basis and depends on various factors such as the size and location of the plume.

4. How do scientists monitor volcano ash to prevent airplane accidents?

Scientists use a combination of ground-based and satellite-based instruments to monitor volcano ash and its movement. These instruments can detect the presence and concentration of ash in the atmosphere, as well as track its movement and predict where it might spread. This information is then shared with aviation authorities to help them make informed decisions about flight paths.

5. What precautions are taken by airlines during a volcano eruption?

Airlines have specific protocols in place for dealing with volcano eruptions and ash clouds. These may include rerouting flights to avoid affected areas, cancelling or delaying flights, and conducting thorough inspections of aircraft after flying through ash. Airlines also work closely with aviation authorities and meteorological agencies to monitor the situation and make informed decisions.