What is a Suitable Wireless Router for a Growing Office?

In summary, the person is seeking a recommendation for a wireless router for their office that has grown to a total of 15 wifi workstations and 2 wifi print servers. They are currently using a generic Linksys router but are experiencing issues with their accounting system and the DHCP server. They are looking for a decent wifi router that is not the typical SOHO equipment found at stores like Office Depot. Another person suggests a top level Linksys router or a low/mid range Cisco router as potential options. They also provide a specific router from Newegg as a recommendation.
Ronnin
Hey kids! I've come to PF seeking a recomendation for a wireless router. I moonlight and do IT work when I can. This office originally had a lot fewer computers and worked fine using a generic Linksys wifi router. The office has grown considerable since then and with the addition of several new laptops and workstations, I've got a total of 15 wifi workstations, plus 2 wifi print servers. The accounting system they use is windows based implementing dbase as the data store. The accounting system is flakey and not well written but we are stuck with it for now. I occationaly get overflows and write errors during postings that make my job a pain since I have to go and trip flags in the tables to undo file locks, partial postings, ect. Plus, the DHCP server in the router occationally flakes out and quits renewing IP's. I probably have to reset the router at least once a week. Can anyone recommend a decent wifi router that isn't the SOHO stuff you find at Office Depot. Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the recomendation Greg. I appreciate the help and will research the one you suggested.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a router?

When choosing a router, there are several factors to consider such as the speed and range of the router, the number of devices it can support, the type of network it supports (e.g. Wi-Fi 6), and the security features it offers.

2. How much should I spend on a router?

The cost of a router can vary greatly depending on its features and capabilities. It is important to determine your specific needs and budget before making a decision. Generally, a good router can range from $50 to $300.

3. Can I use any router with my internet service?

Most routers are compatible with most internet service providers, but it is important to check with your provider to ensure compatibility. Some providers may have specific requirements for the router to work with their service.

4. What is the difference between a single-band and dual-band router?

A single-band router operates on only one frequency band (2.4GHz or 5GHz), while a dual-band router can operate on both. Dual-band routers can offer faster speeds and better performance, especially in areas with a lot of wireless interference.

5. Do I need a separate router and modem?

It depends on your internet service. If you have a traditional broadband connection, you will need both a router and a modem. However, if you have a fiber or cable connection, your internet provider may offer a modem/router combo device. It is important to confirm with your provider before purchasing a separate router and modem.

Back