Scan barcode from iphone screen

In summary, the conversation is about a friend developing an iPhone app that can generate a barcode on the screen for checkout purposes. However, they are having trouble with the barcode scanner reflecting off of the iPhone LCD screen. The group discusses possible solutions, such as using non-reflective material or distorting the barcode image to compensate for reflections. Ultimately, it is suggested that the friend re-think the app or consider using anti-glare screens for the iPhone.
Logger
Hello there,

A friend of mine is developing an iphone app. that will have the ability of scanning a barcode(not using the camera to scan a barcode-like redlaser) that is displayed on your iphone using a barcode scanner at store points of sale(Cashiers).He is having trouble with the barcode scanner reflecting off of the iphone LCD screen.Is there any software that can overcome this problem.Is there any apps that currently use this technology successfully and how do they do it.Can anyone recommend a solution to his problem.I was thinking if it would be possible for a cashier to place something transparent but non reflective over the iphone prior to scanning it with a barcode scanner.Can anybody recommend any substance that might do something like this.

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The iPhone screen is not a photosensor nor is it any kind of photoinput device. I think your friend needs to re-think his app.

fss said:
The iPhone screen is not a photosensor nor is it any kind of photoinput device. I think your friend needs to re-think his app.

I think the OP means he is intending to generate a barcode on the screen to be read by a checkout - rather than use the iPhone camera to read a barcode.
In the same way you can show the on screen barcode in an electronic ticket at the airport.

The trouble is that supermarket linear barcode readers are a lot less sophisticated than 2D QS barcode cameras

The barcode is being generated by software in the app.The problem lies in getting the cashier barcode scanners to read the barcode from the iphone.Anyone think the non reflective material might work?

Logger said:
The barcode is being generated by software in the app.The problem lies in getting the cashier barcode scanners to read the barcode from the iphone.Anyone think the non reflective material might work?

If you make the barcode as big as the iPhone screen (blown up), and hold the displat at an angle (like 20 degrees) to the laser beam, does it work better?

At present the barcode is displayed in landscape mode and covers around 60% of total screen area.This is pretty big and you would expext it should get a read on a barcode that size.

Logger said:
At present the barcode is displayed in landscape mode and covers around 60% of total screen area.This is pretty big and you would expext it should get a read on a barcode that size.

Do you guys know what the reflections look like, and why they interfere with getting the pattern read well? If you could figure out what is getting distorted, you may be able to pre-distort the barcode image to compensate...

Oh, well facepalm to me. It would seem that the numerous anti-glare screens for the iPhone would help, but it's not exactly practical to require that with every purchase of the app.

What is a "Scan barcode from iphone screen"?

A "Scan barcode from iphone screen" is a feature on the iPhone that allows you to use the device's camera to scan and read barcodes displayed on the screen of your iPhone.

How do I scan a barcode from my iPhone screen?

To scan a barcode from your iPhone screen, you can use the built-in camera feature or download a barcode scanner app from the App Store. Simply open the app, position your iPhone's camera over the barcode, and wait for the app to recognize and read the code.

What types of barcodes can I scan from my iPhone screen?

You can scan a wide range of barcodes from your iPhone screen, including QR codes, UPC codes, EAN codes, and more. Most barcode scanner apps are designed to recognize and read multiple types of barcodes.

Do I need an internet connection to scan a barcode from my iPhone screen?

No, you do not need an internet connection to scan a barcode from your iPhone screen. However, some apps may require an internet connection to provide additional information about the scanned barcode, such as product details or pricing.

Is it safe to scan barcodes from my iPhone screen?

Yes, it is generally safe to scan barcodes from your iPhone screen. However, as with any online activity, it is important to be cautious and only scan barcodes from trusted sources. Some malicious codes may be hidden within barcodes, so it is important to use a reputable barcode scanner app.