Gravitational Lensing or Inferior Mirage?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of gravitational lensing being explained by the refraction of light through a gradient of radiant heat and dense cool space. There is a debate over whether this is related to Einstein's theory of curved spacetime or if it is a separate phenomenon. The speaker also suggests that analyzing the frequency of light can determine if the distortion is caused by heat or gravitational lensing. The conversation ends with the speakers agreeing to disagree and possibly discussing the topic further in the future.
6nqpnw
Can gravitational lensing also be explained by the refraction of light from a more distant object through a gradient of radiant heat and dense cool space?

Same difference? Or completely separate and unrelated?

If unrelated, how can this optical phenomenon be determined as a result of light passing through curved spacetime -vs- heat distortion? (other than Einstein said so)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've never heard of "dense cool space". What exactly is that supposed to be?

I don't believe the phenomenon can be explained your way. Gravitational lensing behaves exactly as predicted by Einstein and Relativity.

I was looking for an explanation more along the lines of principles and laws, not "beliefs" and "predictions."

However, I do believe I've sorted it out. Astronomical Mirages exist as does Gravitational Lensing. And to determine which of the two is causing the distortion of a distant object, one would only need to analyze the light itself -- specifically, its frequency.

If heat / mirage were 'bending' the light, then it would be split into a spectrum since different frequencies refract by different amounts; whereas gravitational lensing acts on all frequencies evenly.

But I get your point: how can a vacuum be dense? I shouldn't have said 'dense.' Cool air is dense; space isn't air. *bonk* Just wish you would've overlooked that rather than trying to provoke an argument. Thanks anyway; maybe next time we can lock horns.

Wow, I think you took my post WAAY over the top lol. None of that was argumentative, but simply saying that I think relativity explains it perfectly. That isn't "prediction and beliefs" as you stated, but is in fact principles and laws that have been proven by evidence.

I would say that gravitational lensing and inferior mirage are two distinct optical phenomena that have different underlying causes. Gravitational lensing is a result of the bending of light by the curvature of spacetime, as predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity. On the other hand, inferior mirages are caused by the refraction of light passing through a gradient of temperature and density in Earth's atmosphere.

While it is possible for both of these phenomena to produce similar visual effects, they are fundamentally different in their mechanisms. Gravitational lensing occurs due to the warping of spacetime by massive objects, such as galaxies, while inferior mirages are caused by the bending of light as it passes through layers of air with different temperatures and densities.

To determine whether an observed optical phenomenon is a result of gravitational lensing or inferior mirage, scientists would use various techniques such as spectroscopy, imaging, and computer simulations to analyze the data and understand the underlying physical processes. These methods can help differentiate between the effects of gravitational lensing and those of atmospheric refraction.

In conclusion, while both gravitational lensing and inferior mirages can produce similar visual effects, they are distinct phenomena with different causes. Scientists use various methods to determine the underlying physical processes and differentiate between these two phenomena.

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravitational field of a massive object (such as a galaxy or a black hole) bends and distorts the path of light passing near it. This results in an apparent magnification or distortion of the object being observed.

2. How does gravitational lensing occur?

Gravitational lensing occurs due to the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects. The more massive the object, the stronger its gravitational field and the greater the bending of light. This can create multiple images of a single object or even produce a ring-like structure around the object.

3. What is an inferior mirage?

An inferior mirage is an optical illusion caused by the refraction of light in the Earth's atmosphere. It occurs when a layer of hot air near the ground bends the light rays from distant objects, making them appear to be reflected on the ground. This creates a mirage, usually in the form of a shimmering pool of water.

4. How is an inferior mirage different from a superior mirage?

An inferior mirage occurs when the air near the ground is hotter than the air above it, causing light rays to bend upwards. In contrast, a superior mirage occurs when the air near the ground is cooler than the air above it, causing light rays to bend downwards. This can create the illusion of objects appearing higher than they actually are.

5. Can gravitational lensing be used for scientific purposes?

Yes, gravitational lensing can be used by scientists to study distant objects that would otherwise be too faint to observe. By analyzing the effects of gravitational lensing, scientists can learn more about the mass and structure of galaxies, as well as the distribution of dark matter in the universe.