Software to demonstrate addition of SHO's

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a simulation software that can demonstrate the addition of waves with different amplitudes, frequencies, and velocities. The desired software should allow the user to define multiple component waves and show the resulting addition. The person mentions that this type of simulation can help students learn about phase and group velocities. They ask for recommendations for such software, preferably for Windows. One suggestion is the PhET and NTNUJava simulation sites, which offer decent options for adding harmonics and changing frequencies and directions of co-linear waves. However, they do not include dispersion. The person also asks if Mathematica can perform these functions and mentions that they are currently downloading it.
issacnewton
Hi

I am looking for a simulation software to demonstrate addition of waves with different amplitudes, frequencies , velocities. So I should be able to define , say , 2 to 3 component
waves and the output will give me the addition of these waves. I think showing actual
simulation helps students learn about phase and group velocities...

if anybody knows such software , preferably for windows , please let me know...

thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Most I know of are additions of harmonics (aka. Fourier synthesis): Decent ones with different functions are on PhET and on the more obscure http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php#2" simulation sites.

One that allows you to change frequency and direction of to co-linear waves is on NTNUJava, but doesn't include the possibility of dispersion.

Edited to add: http://www.falstad.com/dispersion/"

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the reply. what about mathematica ? can it do these things ? i am currently
downloading it.

1. What is a SHO?

A SHO, or simple harmonic oscillator, is a type of physical system that exhibits periodic motion with a constant frequency. It is often represented by a mass attached to a spring.

2. Why is software needed to demonstrate addition of SHO's?

Software can simulate the motion of a SHO and allow for the addition of multiple SHO's to show the resulting motion. This would be difficult to do with physical models and can help in understanding the concept better.

3. What are some common software used to demonstrate addition of SHO's?

Some common software used are MATLAB, Simulink, and Python. These programs have built-in functions and tools that make it easier to simulate and visualize the addition of SHO's.

4. Can software accurately represent real-life SHO's?

Yes, with the right parameters and inputs, software can accurately represent the motion of SHO's in real-life. However, it is important to note that software simulations may not always account for all external factors that may affect the motion of a physical system.

5. Are there any limitations to using software to demonstrate addition of SHO's?

One limitation is that software simulations may not always account for all external factors that may affect the motion of a physical system. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation may also depend on the complexity of the system and the accuracy of the input parameters.