Simple Harmonic Motion on a moving platform

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics midterm where the student struggled with solving problems involving springs and SHM. They ask for help in finding the angular frequency and amplitude. The expert suggests using the expression ω=√(k/m) and finding the positions of the endpoints as functions of t to solve the problems.
chrisy2012
I had my physics midterm today and I totally blanked out. I want to know how to solve it for next time.

So In the picture, there are two springs connected to the mass on a platform.
a) if the platform is at rest, find the angular frequency

the expression for angular frequency is :ω=√(k/m), so I just added the two k's and plugged it into k and got :ω=√((k1+k2)/m). Is this correct?

b)The platform then started to move in SHM with the equation d(t)=D*cos10∏t. We had to find the amplitude of mass M. This is where I tripped up and don't know how to solve it. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 1b 2a.png
    1b 2a.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
hi chrisy2012! :smile:
chrisy2012 said:
the expression for angular frequency is :ω=√(k/m), so I just added the two k's and plugged it into k and got :ω=√((k1+k2)/m). Is this correct?

maybe!

how would you prove it? :wink:
b)The platform then started to move in SHM with the equation d(t)=D*cos10∏t.

find the positions of the two endpoints as functions of t, and that will help you find the distances to multiply by the spring constants :smile:

What is simple harmonic motion on a moving platform?

Simple harmonic motion on a moving platform refers to the periodic motion of an object that is constrained to move along a straight line or a circular path while the platform itself is also moving at a constant velocity.

What factors affect simple harmonic motion on a moving platform?

The factors that affect simple harmonic motion on a moving platform include the amplitude of the motion, the frequency of the platform's movement, and the mass and stiffness of the object.

How is the equation of motion different for simple harmonic motion on a moving platform?

The equation of motion for simple harmonic motion on a moving platform is similar to that of regular simple harmonic motion, but it includes an additional term to account for the motion of the platform. This term is usually represented as a constant velocity in the direction of the platform's movement.

What is the relationship between the platform's velocity and the object's displacement in simple harmonic motion on a moving platform?

In simple harmonic motion on a moving platform, the velocity of the platform and the displacement of the object are directly proportional. This means that as the platform's velocity increases, the displacement of the object also increases.

Can simple harmonic motion on a moving platform occur in real-life scenarios?

Yes, simple harmonic motion on a moving platform can occur in many real-life scenarios, such as a pendulum swinging on a moving train or a mass attached to a spring on a moving car. It is a common phenomenon in systems where there is a combination of periodic motion and uniform linear motion.