Help me understand Electro-induction

• Thread starter LiteHacker
  • Start date
In summary: Does the dielectric change in any way? If so, in what way?The dielectric may experience some displacement of its molecules or atoms due to the electric field, but there is no significant change in its physical properties.
LiteHacker
Imagine you have a cylindrical dielectric charged with 100KV on one end and -100KV on the other end.

Now take an uncharged metal ball and bring it close to the positive end of the dielectric.

From what I understand, the metal ball will be induced into having a charge that will come close to -100KV, depending on how close it comes to the dielectric, via Electrostatic Induction.

When this is done, is there any transfer of energy? Does the dielectric change in any way? If so, in what way?
I can't find any equations that characterized the change in charged matter, or the change in uncharged matter..

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understand, the metal ball will be induced into having a charge that will come close to -100KV
Charge is not induction. The metal ball will not get a net charge (unless it has contact to something else) - it will have some charge separation, with less electrons close to the -100kV-point and more electrons far away.

Why do you use a cylindrical dielectric? Two charged objects (conductivity does not matter) would do the same.

When this is done, is there any transfer of energy?
Some energy of the electrostatic field is used to separate the charges.

1. What is electro-induction?

Electro-induction is the process by which a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a conductor. This phenomenon was discovered by Michael Faraday in the 1830s and is the basis for many electrical devices.

2. How does electro-induction work?

Electro-induction occurs when a conductor, such as a wire, is exposed to a changing magnetic field. The magnetic field creates a force that causes free electrons in the conductor to move, creating an electric current.

3. What are some examples of electro-induction in everyday life?

Some common examples of electro-induction include generators, transformers, and electric motors. These devices use the principles of electro-induction to convert energy from one form to another.

4. How is electro-induction different from electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism refers to the relationship between electricity and magnetism, while electro-induction specifically refers to the phenomenon of creating an electric current through a changing magnetic field.

5. What are the practical applications of electro-induction?

Electro-induction has numerous practical applications, including power generation, electric motors, electromagnets, and wireless charging. It is also used in technologies such as MRI machines and wireless communication devices.