Ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses

In summary, OptoCAD is a free software that allow to draw rays passed throught system of thick lenses (preferable in 3D). It is for laser beams and I'm not sure could I trace arbitrary rays using OptoCAD. Jim Klein's optical desing guide (jimkleinsopticaldesignguide.blogspot.com/) and his software KDP (www.ecalculations.com/) for optical design and analysis.tosik- were helpful to me.
tosik
Can you advise me a free software that allow to draw rays passed throught system of thick lenses (preferable in 3D)?

Science news on Phys.org
You want something like raycad only under a free-software license?
That's odd - the free stuff that does ray-tracing seems all geared to making graphics.
What level do you need it for?

I need to trace rays of different wavelength through some thick lenses. I need a free software that allow to change lenses characteristics (curvature, shape, refraction index) and visualize ray paths of different wavelength (prefereably visible rays: red - blue). Also the software should allow to change refraction indexes of medium (for example, one side of lens is in air, another in water, etc.).

I've found OptoCAD and only study to use it. It is for laser beams and I'm not sure could I trace arbitrary rays using OptoCAD.

tosik said:
I've found OptoCAD and only study to use it. It is for laser beams and I'm not sure could I trace arbitrary rays using OptoCAD.
That would depend on what sort of result you are after - you can use a very narrow laser beam to approximate a classical light ray.
If Opto-cad allows you to make wide laser beams with a uniform crossection then it should do what you describe ... after all, do you care about the part of the light-wave that does not pass through the apparatus?

iirc the University of Auckland has a set of MATLAB add-ons that handle general ray optics ... you'd have to fiddle it for non-linear placement but it doesn't have to be par-axial. They describe the effect of optical elements as a space/wavelength-dependant phase-shift in the EM wave.

If all you need is undergrad ray-optics with wavelength dependence, all elements in a line, then, strewth, I could write that in an afternoon.
OK - maybe over a weekend.

Somebody named Jim Klein wrote a ray trace program that he sold for a while but eventually made available for free. He was active on the sci.optics usenet group, which can be accessed through google groups. You might look for his old posts there from around 2007-2008. I just tried a quick google search, but did not find Klein's program.

Redbelly98 said:
Somebody named Jim Klein wrote a ray trace program that he sold for a while but eventually made available for free. He was active on the sci.optics usenet group, which can be accessed through google groups. You might look for his old posts there from around 2007-2008. I just tried a quick google search, but did not find Klein's program.

I've found Jim Klein's optical desing guide (jimkleinsopticaldesignguide.blogspot.com/) and his software KDP (www.ecalculations.com/) for optical design and analysis.

tosik-
I am also seeking affordable geometric ray trace software. It seems as though there was a lot out there in the 1990s and it has slowly faded.

I used Virtual Optical Bench for quite a while but it stopped working on WIN7 and the authors haven't fixed it.
http://www.vobhome.com/

BEAM4 is rather simple but without a lot of analysis features that I can see. They aren't returning emails at this time. The cost is $299 but the demo is free and you can use it if you "hand make" the tables with an ascii editor (the save is disabled in the demo).
https://www.stellarsoftware.com/

For only $70, Optalix LT looks promising. It has only geometric analysis-the full physical trace version is $2500. I am continuing to try to learn it. The Demo is free for 30 days.
http://www.optenso.com/

Something I haven't had a chance to look at yet is freeware. It looks like it may be idle lately but perhaps not:
http://www.maxreason.com/software/optics/opus.html#overview[/url]

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you succeed in finding a solution

cheers
Fritz

Fritz-

Now I'm using optoCAD of Roland Shilling. It has a simple language for optic system definition, allow to define different surfaces and trace beams trough them, and produce very nice 2D images.

KDP is more complex and produced 3D images is not good for me.

I don't try other software.

1. What is ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses?

Ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses is a computational technique used in optics to simulate the path of light rays through a thick lens. It involves tracing the path of light rays from an object through the lens to the image formed by the lens.

2. Why is ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses important?

Ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses is important because it allows for the accurate prediction and analysis of image formation in optical systems. It is commonly used in lens design and optimization, as well as in understanding the performance of existing optical systems.

3. How does ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses work?

Ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses works by using the principles of geometric optics to trace the path of light rays through a lens. This involves considering the refraction of light at each surface of the lens and calculating the direction and position of the rays as they pass through the lens.

4. What are the main challenges of ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses?

One of the main challenges of ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses is accurately modeling the complex interactions of light rays with curved and multi-element lenses. This can require sophisticated mathematical algorithms and high computing power. Another challenge is accounting for aberrations and other optical imperfections in the lens.

5. How is ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses used in real-world applications?

Ray tracing through optical system of thick lenses is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including lens design for cameras, telescopes, and microscopes, as well as in the design and optimization of optical systems for various industries such as automotive, aerospace, and medical. It is also used in computer graphics for creating realistic images in video games and movies.