Unknown users in windows 7

by adjacent
Tags: unknown, users, windows
Share this thread:
adjacent
Jun7-14, 04:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,466

What are they? I never have any user named 'Unknown'.
Virus?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.PNG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Borg
Jun7-14, 04:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 759
Have you been copying files to a new installation?
How to fix "Account Unknown".
adjacent
Jun7-14, 05:08 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
Have you been copying files to a new installation?
No.

Ah,finally its gone. I reclaimed my ownership and deleted those accounts. However,I can't still understand why this unknown username was present there. Has this happened with thy computer before?

Borg
Jun7-14, 06:48 AM
PF Gold
Unknown users in windows 7

Quote Quote by adjacent View Post
No.

Ah,finally its gone. I reclaimed my ownership and deleted those accounts. However,I can't still understand why this unknown username was present there. Has this happened with thy computer before?
Probably. I usually just delete accounts that I don't recognize. Sometimes software installations will create accounts like that. If everything else is operating OK, then I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would just check over the next few weeks to see if they reappear. If so, then a lookup of the GUIDs in the registry would be in order.
adjacent
Jun7-14, 07:15 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Borg View Post
If so, then a lookup of the GUIDs in the registry would be in order.
What is that? And why do thou do that? ( This old fashioned English is very funny. Is it allowed here,Mentors?)
Borg
Jun7-14, 08:03 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by adjacent View Post
What is that? And why do thou do that? ( This old fashioned English is very funny. Is it allowed here,Mentors?)
The GUID is a Global Unique IDentifier. It's that S-1-.... part in the parenthesis. The Windows registry heavily uses that to uniquely identify things. If you search for the GUIDs from the unknown users, you'll probably find that it references some software that you've installed.
Routaran
Jun9-14, 01:02 PM
P: 292
Was this computer ever part of a domain?
When a domain system is disconnected from the network, account information cannot be retrieved because the computer cannot reach the active directory for user info.

Register to reply