Register to reply

Physical therapy and bandages

by delete
Tags: bandages, physical, therapy
Share this thread:
delete
Jun18-14, 03:56 PM
P: 2
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Extreme weather kills 2,000 in U.S. each year: CDC
Greater weight gain after early adenotonsillectomy for OSA
Guidelines issued for medical management of kidney stones
berkeman
Jun18-14, 04:05 PM
Mentor
P: 40,730
Quote Quote by delete View Post
I have a sprained ankle. On my first visit to the therapist, he stuck a bandage on my ankle, such that it went 270deg around.

Issues:

1. No mention of how I am supposed to shower. Do I take care to leave the bandage or do I let it peel off? I take a shower everyday, and there is no way the adhesive can remain intake.

2. Why not go all around the ankle? Bandages that go all around a limb and adhere to themselves are actually difficult to remove.

I am going to ask the therapist on my next visit. At this point, I feel like I'm going to embarrass him. For his sake, I hope I'm missing something.
Just call their office to ask about the shower question today. I'm sure a nurse or somebody there can give you the answer. I'm guessing the answer will be "don't get it wet", but you should call them to be sure.

I doubt you will embarass the therapist. You may even learn something new...
SteamKing
Jun18-14, 09:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,334
Quote Quote by delete View Post

Issues:

As far as showering is concerned, you can purchase what is known as a 'cast cover'. These covers are available so that you can slip them on over an arm or a leg and take a shower without getting a cast or other bandage wet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leg-Cast-Pro...3D110835573102

These covers can usually be purchased locally from a medical supply house or well stocked pharmacy. The cover has a soft rubber top part thru which you insert your leg before showering. I use such a cover which fits up over my knee to protect the bandages I have on my leg.

Bell-Horn is one such manufacturer but they have a horrible web site. Google "cast protectors" to get pictures and a better idea of what is available.

Register to reply