Overcoming Stress & Procrastination: Learn How to Get Things Done!

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of procrastination and how it leads to stress. People share their own experiences and offer suggestions such as creating a schedule and focusing on one task at a time. The conversation also touches on the difference between college and university in different countries.
Smurf
I'm stressed because I procrastinate and I procrastinate because I'm stressed. And yes I know you're all just going to say "Just do it!" and not actually be any help at all :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dude, I'm in the EXACTLY same situation. I hate it because I'm getting nowhere fast, and I have SO much to do. I just can't get myself to do it...and this is probably the worst time to be in this state because it is the marks that I am getting now that will determine where I go to University next year!

The only reason I'm posting this is because I'm procrastinating. It's horrible.

nah! you don't have to do it!

better?

yomamma said:
nah! you don't have to do it!
better?
stop encouraging us!

I am a big procastinator this semester too, but I have A's in all of my classes, and 3 weeks to go in the semester. I just need C's or better in all of my classes with a 2.5+ and I will be happy :smile:

edit.. I have no suggestions, as if I knew the secret I would be doing it myself :smile:

I hear you Smurf, I'm having the same problem. Bring in an extension ladder and clean cobwebs off of the walls and ceiling in the two story foyer or play on PF?

Hint:I still have cobwebs. :redface:

I guess many of us posting here have a similar problem :). I'm supposed to be writting a technical note and here I am...

Hello, I do not procrastinate except on Fridays, but that is not my question. My question is to you Rocketboy. Why is it that all people in Canada refer to any college as University? I mean here we use the name, but it seems, from what I've seen that everyone in Canada calls any college, university, even when they are referring to a specific one.
-Scott

Smurf said:
I'm stressed because I procrastinate and I procrastinate because I'm stressed. And yes I know you're all just going to say "Just do it!" and not actually be any help at all :yuck:

The Charley Brown philosophy: Why do today what I can do tomorrow? If I wait until tomorrow I will be under pressure, and I work better under pressure. :biggrin:

I suggest that you try a schedule. Set limits and stick to it. Try it for a day when you have something important to do. You can do that. When I have a looming deadline, sometimes I unplug the DSL so that I'm not tempted, and when I do get online, I limit my time to fifteen or thirty minutes. Seriously Smurf, it is important that you find a way to impose some self discipline. Learn to focus on the satisfaction of getting things done.

Oh yes, and focus on one thing at a time. One of the easiest way to stress out is to overwhelm yourself by worrying about everything at once.

Last edited:
scott_alexsk said:
Why is it that all people in Canada refer to any college as University? I mean here we use the name, but it seems, from what I've seen that everyone in Canada calls any college, university, even when they are referring to a specific one.
-Scott

:confused:

rocketboy said:
Dude, I'm in the EXACTLY same situation. I hate it because I'm getting nowhere fast, and I have SO much to do. I just can't get myself to do it...and this is probably the worst time to be in this state because it is the marks that I am getting now that will determine where I go to University next year!
The only reason I'm posting this is because I'm procrastinating. It's horrible.

It gets worse in University. The end of the semester is horrid.. especially when you are a senior like me.

scott_alexsk said:
Hello, I do not procrastinate except on Fridays, but that is not my question. My question is to you Rocketboy. Why is it that all people in Canada refer to any college as University? I mean here we use the name, but it seems, from what I've seen that everyone in Canada calls any college, university, even when they are referring to a specific one.
-Scott

Do you refer to High School by the name of the school or by the level?

in the US, we refer to the university level as college.. the rest of the english speaking world says university.

Ivan Seeking said:
The Charley Brown philosophy: Why do today what I can do tomorrow? If I wait until tomorrow I will be under pressure, and I work better under pressure. :biggrin:
I suggest that you try a schedule. Set limits and stick to it. Try it for a day when you have something important to do. You can do that. When I have a looming deadline, sometimes I unplug the DSL so that I'm not tempted, and when I do get online, I limit my time to fifteen or thirty minutes. Seriously Smurf, it is important that you find a way to impose some self discipline. Learn to focus on the satisfaction of getting things done.
Oh yes, and focus on one thing at a time. One of the easiest way to stress out is to overwhelm yourself by worrying about everything at once.

Priority lists are your are my friends :-)

Hehehe...I never procrastinate! :approve:

Unless it's some (pointless) English homework :grumpy: we're talking about here :biggrin:

ahrkron said:
I guess many of us posting here have a similar problem :). I'm supposed to be writting a technical note and here I am...
Who are you?

I thought I knew all the mentors.

Smurf said:
Who are you?
I thought I knew all the mentors.
*knocks on smurf's head*

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes I'm doing that. I actually got a decent amount of work done today. Even finished the work cited page (that was the hardest part, actually. You won't believe how difficult it is to look up some publication info)

bomba923 said:
Unless it's some (pointless) English homework :grumpy: we're talking about here :biggrin:
That's exactly what it is, actually. How'd you guess?

Ahh I'm doing this too! I have an exam next Friday, but the library is shut on the weekend. So I can't study, and any time I do something else I get stressed and feel like I should be studying. So I've been pacing around the house trying to find something to keep me busy and I'm going crazy! And then monday will come and I won't want to study because its a boring subject, and I'll spend the whole day doing the same thing!

What kind of a school closes their library during the weekend? I wouldn't have survived the last 5 weekends if it hadn't been for my campus library.

A strategy that works for me: get a girlfriend. This will give you an incentive to get things done, either so you can have Quality Time in the evenings or because she'll nag you to death.

I know. I went there yesterday early in the morning so I could study, and it was closed. Especially 1 week before exams. Many of the librarires are open, but I needed the engineering one.

Hypnos said:
A strategy that works for me: get a girlfriend. This will give you an incentive to get things done, either so you can have Quality Time in the evenings or because she'll nag you to death.
That's what I was thinking a couple days ago. You know what the problem is, though?

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A GIRLFRIEND! :cry: :rofl:

Kazza_765 said:
I know. I went there yesterday early in the morning so I could study, and it was closed. Especially 1 week before exams. Many of the librarires are open, but I needed the engineering one.
Man that sucks. We only have 1 "library" on my campus. Lots of common rooms with books and computers and stuff that you're not alowed to take, but only one library.

Smurf said:
That's what I was thinking a couple days ago. You know what the problem is, though?
I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR A GIRLFRIEND! :cry: :rofl:
The beauty of sexual relations is that they make time o:)

Hypnos said:
The beauty of sexual relations is that they make time o:)
oh right. Sex too, that'd be nice.:rofl:

Smurf said:
oh right. Sex too, that'd be nice.:rofl:
Just exercise regularly and wear a smile -- it could happen to you, too! :biggrin:

Evo said:
I hear you Smurf, I'm having the same problem. Bring in an extension ladder and clean cobwebs off of the walls and ceiling in the two story foyer or play on PF?
Hint:I still have cobwebs. :redface:

And spiders and all the things that eat them :smile:

What is stress and how does it affect productivity?

Stress is a psychological and physiological response to external pressures, challenges, or demands. It can affect productivity by causing feelings of overwhelm, difficulty concentrating, and a decrease in motivation and energy.

What are some common signs of procrastination?

Some common signs of procrastination include avoiding difficult tasks, constantly putting things off until the last minute, and making excuses for not completing tasks.

How can I overcome stress and procrastination?

To overcome stress and procrastination, it is important to identify the root causes and triggers of these behaviors. Developing effective time management and prioritization skills, practicing self-care and stress management techniques, and breaking tasks into smaller, manageable steps can also help.

What are some techniques for managing stress?

Some techniques for managing stress include deep breathing, exercise, mindfulness and meditation, setting boundaries and saying no, and seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist.

How can I increase my productivity?

To increase productivity, it is important to have a clear understanding of your goals and priorities, create a realistic schedule and stick to it, eliminate distractions, delegate tasks when possible, and take breaks to recharge and refocus. Additionally, practicing good self-care and maintaining a healthy work-life balance can also improve productivity.