Rainbow: Viewing Rainbows from a Lowflying Plane

In summary, the shape of a rainbow is dependent on the angle at which it is viewed due to the dispersion of different frequencies of light through a medium with varying refractive index. The higher the observer is in relation to the ground and the Sun, the more of the rainbow they can see, potentially even a full circle if viewed from an airplane. However, mountains can obstruct the full circle view due to shading of raindrops. The observer's vantage point greatly affects the appearance of a rainbow.
hexa
I was wondering how a rainbow would look like when sitting in a lowflying plane. I was thinking that it sould still be a bow as standing on a mountain doesn't change the shape of the rainbow either. But is that really true?

hexa

Science news on Phys.org
You see a rainbow depending on the position you look at it because the phenomenon responsible for it, ie dispersion, is an "angle dependent" physical process. more specifically, EM-radiation splits up into the different constituent frequencies (colours) when passing through a medium of variable refractive index. each frequency is "emitted" along a certain angle with the incident EM-radiation.

marlon

ah very interesting. So the higher i get relative to the ground, the more I can see of that rainbow until I see the complete circle, right?

Hexa

hexa said:
ah very interesting. So the higher i get relative to the ground, the more I can see of that rainbow until I see the complete circle, right?
Hexa

I am sorry but i do not see how you come to such a conclusion ? Am I missing something here ?

marlon

What hexa concluded doesn't necessarily follow from your post, but it is more or less correct:
But if the sun is very low in the sky, either just before sunset or just after sunrise, we can see a half circle. The higher the sun is in the sky, the less we see of the rainbow.

The only way to see the full circle of a rainbow in the sky is to be above the raindrops and have the sun behind you. You would have to look down on the drops from an airplane.
http://www.wxdude.com/Rainbows.html

and:
However, a mountain won't work for a full circle. "On a mountain peak-no matter how high," says Greenler, "droplets on the part of the circle below the antisolar point will be shaded by the mountain."
http://www.wonderquest.com/rainbow-circle.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, thanks for clarifying,

my mistake

marlon

I realize that this thread has been dormant for a while , and I have no scientific knowledge as such but by observation ...

If a rainbow were to be projected into a full circle the circle seems to complete itself at my feet . I noticed this particularily when driving in spray that the rainbow in the distance could be seen through the spray and seemed to come through 360 deg back to the ground beneath me .

Is this true of all rainbows to the observer ?

lurksalot said:
I realize that this thread has been dormant for a while , and I have no scientific knowledge as such but by observation ...

If a rainbow were to be projected into a full circle the circle seems to complete itself at my feet . I noticed this particularily when driving in spray that the rainbow in the distance could be seen through the spray and seemed to come through 360 deg back to the ground beneath me .

Is this true of all rainbows to the observer ?
What you see depends on your vantage point in relation to the dispersing medium and the Sun.
From personal experience, flying planes, I've seen them make full circles (quite impressive), but they are somewhat below you.

1. How do rainbows form?

Rainbows form when sunlight is refracted, or bent, as it passes through water droplets in the air. This refraction separates the sunlight into its component colors, creating the familiar arc of colors we see in the sky.

2. Why can rainbows only be seen at certain angles?

Rainbows can only be seen when the sun is behind the viewer and the water droplets are in front of the viewer. This means that the angle between the sun, the viewer, and the water droplets must be just right for a rainbow to be visible.

3. How do rainbows appear from a low-flying plane?

Rainbows may appear differently from a low-flying plane because the angle between the sun, the viewer, and the water droplets changes as the plane moves. This can cause the rainbow to appear wider or narrower, or even to disappear completely if the angle is not right.

4. Can you see a full circle rainbow from a low-flying plane?

It is possible to see a full circle rainbow from a low-flying plane, but it is very rare. This requires the viewer to be at the perfect angle between the sun, the water droplets, and the ground, which is difficult to achieve in most cases.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the appearance of rainbows from a low-flying plane?

Yes, other factors such as the size and shape of the water droplets, the amount of moisture in the air, and the intensity of the sunlight can all affect the appearance of rainbows from a low-flying plane. Additionally, the position of the viewer on the plane can also impact the angle at which the rainbow is viewed.