Hall Effect & Drift Velocity: Can Copper Move w/o Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of drift velocity in a conductor, specifically a strip of copper moving through a magnetic field. It is determined that a drift velocity can only exist if there is a current in the copper strip, and this velocity is at right angles with the direction of the field and the movement of the hand. The magnitude of the drift velocity depends on the resistance of the circuit and can be measured through the Hall Effect. The conversation also addresses the confusion about generating an emf in a magnetic field and the use of a power supply to create a current rather than physically moving the conductor.
gokugreene
If I move a strip of copper mechanically with my hand through a uniform magnetic field will their be a drift velocity? And if so will the drift velocity be in the same direction as the moving copper strip? What would the magnitude of the drift velocity be if this happens? Can you have a drift velocity without a current in the copper strip?

This confusion comes about after reading a my physics book. It says that you can use the Hall Effect to measure the drift velocity of charge carriers.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
gokugreene said:
If I move a strip of copper mechanically with my hand through a uniform magnetic field will their be a drift velocity? And if so will the drift velocity be in the same direction as the moving copper strip? What would the magnitude of the drift velocity be if this happens? Can you have a drift velocity without a current in the copper strip?
This confusion comes about after reading a my physics book. It says that you can use the Hall Effect to measure the drift velocity of charge carriers.
Thanks!
A current exists ONLY when there is relative motion between the strip of copper and the magnetic field. The magnitude of the current depends on the relative speed. the faster you move the strip of copper through the B field, the higher the current.

If I move a strip of copper mechanically with my hand through a uniform magnetic field will their be a drift velocity?
Not unless the strip of copper makes a complete circuit.
And if so will the drift velocity be in the same direction as the moving copper strip?
No. This velocity is at right angles with the direction of the field and the movement of your hand in the usual xyz coordinates.
What would the magnitude of the drift velocity be if this happens?
This would depend on the total resistance of the circuit. First you have to work out the generated emf. U=Blv Then the current. I=U/R Then the drift velocity from I=nAve. In the last formula v is the drift velocity and in the first formula v is the speed of your hand.
Can you have a drift velocity without a current in the copper strip?
No
I think your confusion comes from the fact that you think that in order to generate an emf in a magnetic field you have to move a conductor through the field. That is not the only way to generate an emf. It can also be done by charges of a current (in a stationary strip) set up by an external power supply. If these charges go through a magnetic field they will feel a magnetic force of F=Bev. Now v is the drift velocity.
This force is again under right angles with both direction of v (= opposite I) and direction of the magnetic field. If properly set up you will find that F is in the direction of the width w of the strip. F is a real force but difficult to measure. It is easier to measure the resulting emf U (= Hall voltage) across w with a very sensitive volt meter.
I hope this helps.

What is the Hall Effect?

The Hall Effect is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field applied perpendicular to a current-carrying conductor causes a voltage difference to develop across the conductor. This voltage difference is known as the Hall voltage and is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the current flowing through the conductor.

How does the Hall Effect work?

The Hall Effect is based on the principle that when a charged particle moves in a magnetic field, it experiences a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the magnetic field. In a conductor, this force causes the electrons to accumulate on one side of the conductor, creating a voltage difference.

What is drift velocity?

Drift velocity is the average velocity at which the free electrons in a conductor move in response to an applied electric field. It is typically very slow, on the order of millimeters per second, due to collisions with atoms and impurities in the conductor.

Can copper move without current?

No, copper cannot move without current. Current is defined as the flow of electric charge, and in a conductor like copper, this charge is carried by free electrons. Without a current, the electrons in copper will not be in motion and therefore the copper will not move.

How is the Hall Effect used in technology?

The Hall Effect has many practical applications in technology, including measuring magnetic fields, sensing position and motion, and determining the type and concentration of charge carriers in a material. It is also used in devices such as magnetic field sensors, current sensors, and magnetometers.