Maths problem: deriving expressions for the critical temperature/volume/pressure

In summary, for a van der Waals gas, the critical temperature, volume, and pressure are given by Tc = 8a/27bR, Vc = 3nb, and Pc = a/27b^2, respectively. Using the conditions of the point of inflection of the (V,p) graph, it can be shown that Vc = 3nb and Tc can be obtained by substituting Vc into one of the equations and solving for Tc. Finally, Pc can be found by plugging in the values for Vc and Tc into the Van der Waals equation. This information is important for studying critical fluids, although it should be noted that the Van der Waals E
Lisa...
I have to show that for a van der Waals gas the critical temperature, volume and pressure are given by:

[tex] T_c= \frac{8a}{27bR} [/tex]

[tex]V_c= 3nb [/tex]

[tex]p_c= \frac{a}{27b^2} [/tex]

I started off this way:

Van der Waals states that for a non ideal gas the pressure is:

[tex] P = \frac{nRT}{V-nb} - a \frac{n^2}{V^2} [/tex]

with a and b constants...

The point of inflection of the (V,p) graph is the critical volume + temperature. Therefore this point is given by the conditions:

[tex] \frac{\delta p}{\delta V} =0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\delta ^2 p}{\delta V^2} =0 [/tex]

I came to the conclusion that these conditions are:

[tex] \frac{\delta p}{\delta V} = - \frac{nRT}{(V-nb)^2} + \frac{2an^2}{V^3}=0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{\delta ^2 p}{\delta V^2} = \frac{2 nRT}{(V-nb)^3} - \frac{6an^2}{V^4}=0 [/tex]

Now how do I obtain V /Tfrom these two equations?
I believe I need to set the second equation equal to 0 and solve for V & T. Then substitute the answer in the first one and show that it also equals 0.
Only: how do I get an expression for V & T?! I've done the following:

[tex] \frac{2 nRT}{(V-nb)^3} - \frac{6an^2}{V^4}=0 [/tex]

[tex] \frac{2 nRT}{(V-nb)^3} = \frac{6an^2}{V^4} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{nRT}{(V-nb)^3} = \frac{3an^2}{V^4} [/tex]

What steps should I take next? Please help me o:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Two equations and three unknowns? Think there might be a third relation laying around somewhere? See anything you can easily eliminate by rearranging your two derivatives?

I think I've managed to solve the problem:

I've used the second derivative to obtain an expression for T, then I've substituted it into the first one and solved for V. This expression matched the given one, so I knew I was on the right track. Next I've substituted the expression for V into the one I had for T and simplified, which also gave me the given expression. Finding p was really easy by then (with filled in values for V and T in the van der waals formula)...

Thanks anyways for trying to help :)

Lisa!

You had :

[tex] \frac{nRT}{(V-nb)^2} = \frac{2an^2}{V^3} [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{2 nRT}{(V-nb)^3} = \frac{6an^2}{V^4} [/tex]

Dividing one by the other directly gives you Vc = 3nb. Plug this into either of the two to find Tc. Plug Vc and Tc into the Van der Waals equation to find Pc.

These will be quite useful for people working with critical fluids, particularly for Carbon dioxide capture, transportation and storage. Needless to say that Van der Waals EoS is not valid for CO2!

1. What is the purpose of deriving expressions for critical temperature/volume/pressure?

The purpose of deriving expressions for critical temperature, volume, and pressure is to understand and predict the behavior of a substance at its critical point. This information is crucial for various scientific and industrial applications, such as designing and optimizing processes in chemical engineering.

2. How is the critical temperature/volume/pressure determined?

The critical temperature, volume, and pressure can be experimentally determined by observing the behavior of a substance at different temperatures and pressures and identifying the point at which the substance undergoes a phase transition. Alternatively, they can be calculated using mathematical equations based on the properties of the substance.

3. What factors influence the critical temperature/volume/pressure of a substance?

The critical temperature, volume, and pressure of a substance are influenced by various factors such as the intermolecular forces between molecules, the molecular structure of the substance, and the presence of impurities. These factors can affect the strength of the intermolecular interactions and thus alter the critical point of the substance.

4. Can the expressions for critical temperature/volume/pressure be applied to all substances?

No, the expressions for critical temperature, volume, and pressure are specific to each substance and cannot be applied to all substances. These expressions are based on the unique properties and behavior of each substance at its critical point.

5. What are some practical applications of the expressions for critical temperature/volume/pressure?

The expressions for critical temperature, volume, and pressure have numerous practical applications in various fields such as chemical engineering, materials science, and environmental science. They are used to design and optimize processes involving phase transitions, determine the suitable conditions for storing and transporting substances, and understand the behavior of substances in extreme environments.