Frequency Equation: Help Finding an Equation Incorporating Tube Diameter

• Thread starter myshiee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the conversation discusses finding an equation to calculate frequency in a resonance tube experiment. The equation involves the use of the tube's diameter and end correction. The formula for an open tube is frequency = velocity of wave / 2*L, where L is the corrected length and e is 0.3 * inner diameter. For a closed tube, the formula is frequency = velocity of wave / 4*L, where e is 0.6 * inner diameter. The person also mentions that there are two different diameters for an open tube and asks for help on how to include that in the equation.
myshiee
Hey guys! i was wondering if anyone could help me find an equation to find frequency besides using the formula (velocity= frequency*wavelength).
My teacher said that we needed to find an equation that incorporated the use of the tube's diameter. I've been searching online but I can't find one that uses the diameter. Can anybody help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Go for "end correction" for standing waves in open or closed tubes.

For resonance tube experiment:

frequency of tuning fork [n] = velocity of wave / 2*L for tube opened at both ends

frequency [n] = velocity of wave / 4*L for tube opened at one ends.

where L [corrected length] = Resonating length + e [end correction]

where e=0.3 * inner diameter of tube for tube opened at one end

and e=0.6* inner diameter for tube opened at both the ends.

Grazie!

Thanks for the help!:smile:
However, I forgot to say that for the open tube, there are two different diameters.Each open side has a different diameter. How would I include that in?

1. What is the frequency equation and why is it important?

The frequency equation is a mathematical formula that relates the frequency of a sound wave to its physical characteristics, such as the length or diameter of the medium it is traveling through. It is important because it allows scientists to understand and manipulate sound waves for various applications, such as in music, communication, and medical imaging.

2. How is tube diameter incorporated into the frequency equation?

The frequency equation that incorporates tube diameter is known as the Helmholtz equation. It relates the frequency of a sound produced by a resonant tube to the length and diameter of the tube, as well as the speed of sound in the medium it is traveling through. This equation is commonly used in the study of acoustics and musical instruments.

3. What are the units of measurement for tube diameter and frequency?

The unit of measurement for tube diameter is typically in meters (m), while frequency is measured in hertz (Hz). However, in some cases, other units such as centimeters (cm) or kilohertz (kHz) may be used. It is important to pay attention to the units when using the frequency equation to ensure accurate results.

4. Is the frequency equation only applicable to sound waves traveling through tubes?

No, the frequency equation can be used for any type of sound wave traveling through any medium, as long as the appropriate parameters are known and incorporated into the equation. For example, in the case of sound waves traveling through air, the speed of sound in air would need to be used in the equation.

5. How can I use the frequency equation to predict the frequency of a sound wave?

To use the frequency equation to predict the frequency of a sound wave, you will need to know the physical characteristics of the medium the sound wave is traveling through (such as tube diameter), as well as the speed of sound in that medium. Once you have these values, you can plug them into the frequency equation and solve for the frequency of the sound wave.