Proving 6601 is a Carmichael Number

• Thread starter Oxymoron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that 6601 is a Carmichael number. The first step was to look up the prime factors of 6601, which are 7, 23, and 41. It was then noticed that for each prime factor, the difference between the factor and 1 divides 6600. Using Fermat's Little Theorem, it was concluded that 6601 is a Carmichael Number.
Oxymoron
Ive been trying to prove that the number 6601 is a Carmichael number. I've gone some way to prove it but I don't like it. The first thing I did was look up the prime factors of 6601. And they are

[tex]6601 = 7 \times 23 \times 41[/tex]

And then I noticed that for each prime factor [itex]p_i = \{7,23,41\}[/itex] we have

[tex]p_i - 1 = n \quad \mbox{and } n | (6601 - 1)[/tex]

So that 7 - 1 = 6 and 6 divides 6600, 22 divides 6600, and 40 divides 6600.

Now, Fermat's Little Theorem says that if a is an integer and q is coprime to a, then q divides [itex]a^{q-1} - 1[/itex]. And from this we can say that

[tex]a^{q-1} \equiv 1(\mod p_i)[/tex]

So since 7-1 divides 6601-1 we can say that

[tex]a^{6600} \equiv 1(\mod 7)[/tex]
[tex]a^{6600} \equiv 1(\mod 23)[/tex]
[tex]a^{6600} \equiv 1(\mod 41)[/tex]

because 7, 23, and 41 all divide q-1. and a and q are coprime. Multiplying these together we get

[tex]a^{6600} \equiv 1(\mod 6601) \quad \forall a\in\mathbb{Z}[/tex]

But is this enough to prove that 6601 is a Carmichael Number?

Physics news on Phys.org
duh! By the definition of a Carmichael number it is enough surely!

1. What is a Carmichael Number?

A Carmichael Number is a composite number that satisfies the Fermat's Little Theorem, which states that a^(n-1) ≡ 1 (mod n) for any integer a coprime to n. In simpler terms, a Carmichael Number is a number that appears to be prime but is actually composite.

2. Why is proving 6601 as a Carmichael Number important?

Proving 6601 as a Carmichael Number is important because it serves as a counterexample to the statement that all numbers in the form of 2^(2^n) + 1 are prime. It also highlights the complexity and challenges of identifying and classifying prime numbers.

3. How is 6601 proven to be a Carmichael Number?

6601 is proven to be a Carmichael Number by running a series of tests, including the Miller-Rabin primality test and the Lucas primality test. These tests check for the conditions of Carmichael Numbers, such as being composite and satisfying Fermat's Little Theorem.

4. Can a number be both a Carmichael Number and a prime number?

No, a number cannot be both a Carmichael Number and a prime number. Carmichael Numbers, by definition, are composite numbers that satisfy certain conditions, while prime numbers are numbers that are only divisible by 1 and themselves.

5. What are the implications of 6601 being a Carmichael Number?

The implications of 6601 being a Carmichael Number are that it adds to our understanding of prime numbers and their properties. It also shows the limitations of certain prime number tests and highlights the need for further research in this field.