What Is the Energy Difference in the Stern-Gerlach Experiment with Silver Atoms?

In summary, the discussion revolved around the calculation of the energy difference in electron volts of silver atoms in two exiting beams in the Stern-Gerlach experiment, taking into account the refined value of the g factor (g = 2.00232). It was determined that using g = 2 instead of the refined value would yield the correct answer, with a difference of one part in a thousand. It was also mentioned that most elementary books use g = 2 and neglect vacuum fluctuations effects.
big man
OK I just have one more question haha.

Question:
Consider the original Stern-Gerlach experiment employing an atomic beam of silver, for which the magnetic moment is due entirely to the spin of the single valence electron of the silver atom. Assuming the magnetic field B has a magnitude 0.500 T, compute the energy difference in electron volts of the silver atoms in the two exiting beams.

What I've done:

So we're looking at an electron, which has a spin quantum number of s=1/2.
So the z component of the spin angular momentum will be.

Sz = ms*hbar

Where ms is the spin magnetic quantum number. There are two different orientations of 1/2 and -1/2 that result in the different defelctions of the beams.

So the energy for ms = 1/2 is:

E = (1/2)*hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

And for ms = -1/2

E = (-1/2)*hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

To find the energy difference I subtracted the two energies, which yielded:

deltaE = hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

e is the charge of the electron and m is the mass of the electron and g is the g factor (g = 2.00232).

So the above equation can now be expressed as

deltaE = Ub*g*B

Where Ub is the bohr magneton.

But this answer is wrong. It would work out if I didn't use the refined value of g and just used 2.

What am I doing wrong?
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
big man said:
OK I just have one more question haha.

Question:
Consider the original Stern-Gerlach experiment employing an atomic beam of silver, for which the magnetic moment is due entirely to the spin of the single valence electron of the silver atom. Assuming the magnetic field B has a magnitude 0.500 T, compute the energy difference in electron volts of the silver atoms in the two exiting beams.

What I've done:

So we're looking at an electron, which has a spin quantum number of s=1/2.
So the z component of the spin angular momentum will be.

Sz = ms*hbar

Where ms is the spin magnetic quantum number. There are two different orientations of 1/2 and -1/2 that result in the different defelctions of the beams.

So the energy for ms = 1/2 is:

E = (1/2)*hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

And for ms = -1/2

E = (-1/2)*hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

To find the energy difference I subtracted the two energies, which yielded:

deltaE = hbar*(e/2m)*g*B

e is the charge of the electron and m is the mass of the electron and g is the g factor (g = 2.00232).

So the above equation can now be expressed as

deltaE = Ub*g*B

Where Ub is the bohr magneton.

But this answer is wrong. It would work out if I didn't use the refined value of g and just used 2.

What am I doing wrong?
Cheers
I am not quite sure what you mean. Do you mean that you would get the correct answer if you used g =2 instead of 2.00232?

If this what you mean than two comments: a) if you work within three sig figs, it does not make any difference and b) most elementary books use g=2, i.e. they neglect vacuum fluctuations effects.

So if this is your only problem, I would say to use g=2 and not worry about the difference of one part in a thousand

yeah that was my only problem. I just wasn't sure if the book wants you to use g = 2.00232 or not. But yeah I'll just stick with using 2 then.
Cheers for that.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that was first conducted by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach in 1922. It involves passing a beam of particles, such as atoms or electrons, through a non-uniform magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles. The results of this experiment helped to confirm the existence of intrinsic angular momentum, also known as spin, in particles.

2. What is the significance of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is significant because it provided evidence for the quantization of angular momentum in particles, which is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics. It also helped to establish the concept of spin in particles and led to further studies and developments in quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

3. What are the key findings of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The key findings of the Stern-Gerlach experiment include the quantization of angular momentum in particles, the existence of spin in particles, and the fact that particles can only have certain discrete values of spin. It also showed that particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, have two possible orientations in a magnetic field, while particles with integer spin, such as atoms, have multiple possible orientations.

4. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment relates to quantum mechanics because it provides evidence for the principles of quantization and superposition, which are fundamental concepts in quantum mechanics. It also helped to establish the concept of spin, which plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How has the Stern-Gerlach experiment been used in modern research?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment has been used in modern research in a variety of ways. It has been used to study the properties of different types of particles, such as electrons, atoms, and ions. It has also been used to test the predictions of quantum mechanics and to explore new technologies, such as quantum computing. Additionally, variations of the Stern-Gerlach experiment have been used to measure and manipulate the spin of particles, which has applications in fields such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.