Fluid Dynamics and Technical Writing: A Summer Session I Journey

In summary: English.In summary, the speaker is taking two classes for summer session I, Fluid dynamics and Technical Writing. They enjoyed their Fluids class with a great professor and a small class size. They are not looking forward to their English class and are frustrated with the lack of summer job opportunities. The conversation also touched on taking advanced classes in high school and the difficulty of understanding particle physics without the necessary background. The thread was then closed.
Cyrus
For summer session I, I have two classes, Fluid dynamics and Technical Writing.

I went to Fluids class today, and it was superb :approve:. My professor is an Indian guy who works at NIH. I like his teaching style. He writes on the board beautifully. It's almost like reading a textbook on the board, which he writes all from memory, no notes. The class is small, 25 people, and mostly older people (about 3-4 are in there 30-40's.) He is always calm and when he lectures it's like he's talking to a colleague. It feels like your sitting in a grad class. What a nice change from last semester. :!)

It's a lot of work, but thermo felt worse last semester.

I will see how English goes tomorrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
English will suck.

Thread locked.

(Did I do it right?)

gj dav2008

as for cyrus, why does everything seem to go right for you? complain about something...:grumpy:

Thing's don't "seem to go right" yomamma, I make them go right.

There is a big difference.

shhh... you're being mean

dav2008 said:
English will suck.

Thread locked.

(Did I do it right?)
:rofl: I don't think anybody really enjoys technical writing. It's rather dry and boring. But, it's also very easy to pass the class with a good grade, because you just have to follow the rules to the letter. There's no B.S.ing or needing to be creative, just draw the exploded view of the ballpoint pen and write up the description of the components and get it over with. (Oops, sorry, I just gave away one of your assignments. Does EVERY technical writing course include that assignment? It seems everyone I know who took one had to do it, no matter what university they attended.)

Did you even read my thread about my stat final exam yomamma?

Things don't always go as planned, but you put your foot down and make them go your way.

Being old has its good ways, for example you can take classes at summer. I can't . I wish I could take some classes in particle physics at some local university, but actually have no idea whether h.s students are allowed to take'em. I can't find a summer job either, all the previous years I could find jobs with ease, and now it seems like I can't find anything at all. Anyway, I'll spend entire summer vocationing, and learning. That would do good. I also want to do two math classes in parallel so that in second semi-semester, I'll be able to take calculus classes, and then AP physics. Are lectures or classes at your Univ. sometimes recorded Cyrus? If so, feel free to pass out some good video from one of your fluid dynamics classes.
K, enough.

Nope, sorry. Even if they were, I doubt you would have the background to follow what's going on, sorry. Remember, this is summer session. Each day we cover 1 week of material. We just finished two chapters and have homework on the first day of class. The learning curve is steep.

Quit complaining

THREAD CLOSED!

Im taking Calc 2 right now at UA... Hmm

Good for you, high school is a waste of time anyways. Quit and start college early.

heartless said:
Being old has its good ways, for example you can take classes at summer. I can't . I wish I could take some classes in particle physics at some local university, but actually have no idea whether h.s students are allowed to take'em.
And for good reason - most high school students will make no sense of anything that's covered in such a course. Here's the first part of the first problem from the first homework set in the only particle physics course offered at my department this year.

"Write down the general form of the interaction term, [itex]{\cal L}^{(Quark)}_{scalar-fermion}[/itex], between Higgs and quark fields in the standard electroweak theory. Verify that [itex]{\cal L}[/itex] is invariant under [itex]SU_L(2) \otimes U(1)~[/itex] gauge transformations. "

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~shige/hw1_s06.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
dav2008 said:
English will suck.
1337:7h15 15 why 1 pwn'd 1337 1n5734d
3n6|15h(?):This why I took leet instead

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, including liquids and gases, as they move and interact with their surroundings. It involves the application of mathematical equations and experimental methods to understand and predict fluid flow.

2. How is fluid dynamics used in technical writing?

Fluid dynamics is often used in technical writing to explain the principles and mechanics of fluid flow in various systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is also used to analyze and solve problems related to fluid flow, such as pressure drops and flow rate calculations.

3. What is the importance of studying fluid dynamics?

Studying fluid dynamics is crucial in many fields, including engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of fluids in natural and man-made systems, which is essential for designing and optimizing various technologies and processes.

4. What can I expect to learn in a summer session on fluid dynamics and technical writing?

In this summer session, you can expect to learn the fundamental principles of fluid dynamics, including Bernoulli's equation, continuity equation, and conservation of momentum. You will also learn how to apply these principles to solve practical problems and effectively communicate your findings through technical writing.

5. Is a background in mathematics required for this summer session?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not a requirement for this summer session. We will cover the necessary mathematical concepts and equations in the course, and you will have opportunities to practice and apply them. However, a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry will be beneficial for understanding some of the more advanced concepts in fluid dynamics.