Is Complex Scaling in Quantum Mechanics Fully Understood?

• Thread starter Quantum River
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation is about complex scaling and its use in quantum mechanics. The person is looking for a simple explanation or mathematical proof of why the complex scaled basis set is complete. They also mention that they have tried to access articles on the subject but have been unable to. Another person suggests seeking help from tutors at Brainmass.com.
Quantum River
Could anyone tell me what complex scaling is?

Do the eigenfunctions of the complex scaled Hamiltonian form a complete basis set? Some articles say the theoretical basis of the complex scaling method has been understood well by the ABC (Aguilar-Balslev-Combes) theorm. But the ABC article of these three guys is in Commun. Math. Phys. of 1971 year (I could not get access to springerlink.com).

I am aware of that this kind of technical problems should not be brought out here. But I just could not understand this method well. Could anyone give me a simple mathematical argument why the complex scaled basis set is complete? (Or give me some internet link that prove its mathematical basis.) The help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Quantum River

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there - try the tutors at Brainmass.com. Very reasonable and have helped me out a lot. Lots of practise material in their library too.

LOL

:

Complex scaling is a mathematical technique used in quantum mechanics to simplify the description of complex systems. It involves rotating the coordinate system in a complex plane, which allows for easier calculation of the system's behavior. The eigenfunctions of the complex scaled Hamiltonian do indeed form a complete basis set, as shown by the ABC theorem. This theorem, proposed by Aguilar, Balslev, and Combes in 1971, proves the completeness of the complex scaled basis set in the context of quantum mechanics. While I cannot provide a simple mathematical argument in this response, there are several resources available online that explain the mathematical basis of complex scaling in detail. I recommend searching for "ABC theorem" or "complex scaling in quantum mechanics" for more information.

1. What is complex scaling/rotation?

Complex scaling/rotation is a mathematical technique used to transform a complex function into a different coordinate system. This transformation involves multiplying the complex function by a scaling/rotation factor, which results in a change in the size and/or orientation of the function's graph.

2. What is the purpose of complex scaling/rotation?

The purpose of complex scaling/rotation is to simplify the mathematical analysis of complex functions. By transforming the function into a different coordinate system, we can often make the function easier to manipulate and understand.

3. How is complex scaling/rotation used in scientific research?

Complex scaling/rotation is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics, where it is used to solve problems involving complex wavefunctions.

4. What are the benefits of using complex scaling/rotation?

One of the main benefits of complex scaling/rotation is that it can simplify complex mathematical problems and make them more manageable. It also allows us to gain a better understanding of complex functions and their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex scaling/rotation?

Yes, there are some limitations to using complex scaling/rotation. It may not always be possible to transform a complex function into a simpler form, and the transformation itself may introduce errors or distortions in the function. Additionally, complex scaling/rotation is only applicable to certain types of functions and may not be suitable for all mathematical problems.