How Do I Find the Distance Between Two Waves in Superposition?

In summary, the conversation discusses three questions related to phase difference and waves. Question 1 involves solving for wavelength given the distance between two waves. Question 2 involves finding the difference in phase using a given formula and determining the value of x. Question 3 involves using the formula for velocity to find the wavelength. The conversation also includes a request for help and a self-correction for question 2.
bilals

Homework Statement

superposition.jpg

2. The attempt at a solution

i knew how to solve questions one and three..please help me in question number 2...here is what i did...

Question 1

(2*pi*x)/(wavelength)=pi/3

where x is the distance between the two waves (5cm)

and therefore we get the wavelength = 30cm

Question 2

(2*pi*x)/30 - wt = difference in phase

(2*pi*x)/30 - (2*pi*f)(7.5*10^-3) = difference in phase

is this correct,,if so how can i get x ..because i think it would be different

Question 3

v = wavelength * frequency
= 0.3*45

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can anybody help...please

i tried myself and i got the correct answer for question number 2

difference in phase = wt
difference in phase = (2*pi*f)(7.5*10^-3)
difference in phase = (2*pi*45)(7.5*10^-3)

then divide by pi ..to get the answer as a multiple of pi

What is superposition of waves?

Superposition of waves is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves overlap and combine to form a new wave. This new wave is the sum of the individual waves, and the resulting amplitude and frequency can be calculated using mathematical equations.

How does superposition of waves affect the amplitude and frequency of the resulting wave?

The amplitude of the resulting wave is equal to the sum of the individual wave amplitudes at that point. The frequency of the resulting wave is determined by the individual frequencies of the waves and their relative phase difference.

What is the principle of superposition?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves meet at a point, the resulting displacement at that point is equal to the sum of the individual displacements of the waves.

What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency, amplitude, and phase meet and combine to form a resulting wave with a higher amplitude. This happens when the waves are in phase, meaning their peaks and troughs align.

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency, amplitude, and opposite phase meet and combine to form a resulting wave with a lower amplitude. This happens when the waves are out of phase, meaning their peaks and troughs do not align.