Frequency reponse of shock absorber piston in F1 car

In summary: They'll tell you a lot about the frequencies that are important to the car. In summary, the maximum frequency of a piston in a shock absorber in a formula 1 car is 50Hz.
LM741
Hello everyone!

This might be bit of the 'electrical engineering' topic - but maybe someone out there can help :)

Does anybody have any idea of what the maximum frequency of a piston in a shock absorber of a forumula 1 car is?
What do i mean: How many times does the piston (in a shock absorber) move up and down, past the reference point, in one second. The reference point is defined as the point where the piston sits when the car is stationery. I ave googled this tones of times wih no luck - I've emailed "f1 experts" but without any reply - if anyone knows of some expert ( or someone that would know such info.) could perhaps ask..please! oh yes - all i need is the maximum freuency - which would probably occur during full speed.

Please if anyone can give me some idea. I would guess about 50Hz.

Thanks guys
John Criticos

Engineering news on Phys.org
A shock adsorber is designed to prevent any oscillation.
Many designs are non linear was well as being non symmetrical.

The idea, if the suspension is properly designed is to fully disapate all the stored energy of the spring by the time the suspension returns to the normal curb height position.
If it oscilates at all it's defective or not proper for the rest of the suspension.

I suspect what you want is the one shot travel time from some compressed position back to the neutral position.
If you know the spring constant and unsprung weight you can probably get a ball park figure.
Non linear damping will lower the time though.
The shortest time allowed is how fast the spring can move the wheel back to the neutral position with no damping.

Also if you are moving the car back up as opposed to pushing the wheel back down the mass will be different.

Chances are that someone who might know would consider their suspension tuning a deep dark secret.

Best I can do.

"If it oscilates at all it's defective or not proper for the rest of the suspension."
NoTime>> i couldn't disagree with you more. Whilst the car is in motion - the piston is going to move up and down! Hence the oscillations. It will oscillate! The quality of the shock absorber just determines the degree to which the piston will oscillate. But the statement pf yours, quoted above, is totally incorrect - at least i think so.
Thanks, anyway.

Oscillation implies continued movement without additional energy input.
An ideal shock adsober will fully damp any movement of the suspension by the time the suspension returns to the neutral position.

While the car is on a flat road, moving at a stright line at constant speed the suspension (and the shock piston) should not move at all.

The shock is a damper designed to adsorb energy.
Of course the shock piston will move if you hit bumps or potholes, but that's quite different from oscillation.
A car with shocks that allow oscillation is dangerous.

As an aside, almost all cars are underdamped. Typical street cars have damping ratios of ~0.2-0.4 (though the dampers are nonlinear, so this isn't completely well-defined). Any more than that gets extremely uncomfortable.

Anyway, I don't understand the original question. The answer depends completely on what the car's doing and the surface it's being driven over. Are you asking about the resonant frequencies of the chassis? The amount of damping? The highest frequencies that are important to control? For the last question, I think that the you'll get your answer by looking at the rumble strips.

1. What is frequency response and why is it important for shock absorbers in F1 cars?

Frequency response refers to how a shock absorber responds to different frequencies of vibrations or impacts. In F1 cars, it is important because the suspension system must be able to quickly adjust to the constantly changing road conditions and maintain the stability and control of the car.

2. How does the design of the piston affect the frequency response of a shock absorber?

The design of the piston can greatly impact the frequency response of a shock absorber. A larger piston diameter allows for more fluid to flow, providing a higher frequency response. Additionally, the shape and contour of the piston can also affect the response, with more complex designs providing better control over different frequencies.

3. What factors influence the frequency response of a shock absorber in an F1 car?

Several factors can influence the frequency response of a shock absorber in an F1 car, such as the type of fluid used, the size and shape of the piston, the design of the valve system, and the overall suspension setup of the car. The materials used in the construction of the shock absorber can also play a role.

4. How do engineers test and measure the frequency response of shock absorbers in F1 cars?

Engineers use specialized equipment such as dynamometers and shock absorber test rigs to test and measure the frequency response of shock absorbers in F1 cars. These tools can simulate different road conditions and measure how the shock absorber responds to different frequencies of vibrations and impacts.

5. Can the frequency response of a shock absorber be adjusted during a race?

In some cases, the frequency response of a shock absorber can be adjusted during a race. This is usually done by changing the settings on the suspension system, such as adjusting the stiffness of the springs or the damping force of the shock absorbers. However, these adjustments must be carefully made to ensure the overall performance and handling of the car is not negatively affected.