Calculating Resistance of a Copper Pipe Based on Length and Diameter

In summary, to find the length of a copper pipe with a resistance of 8.05 × 10-3 W, you can use the equation R=rho(L/A) where rho is 1.7E-8 for copper. To find the area, you can use the formula pi*(d2^2-d1^2)/4, where d2 is the outside diameter (8.000 cm) and d1 is the inside diameter (6.720 cm). After calculating the area to be 1.29E-4 m, you can plug it into the equation and solve for L, which is approximately 60.93 m. However, if you use the formula for the area of two circles,
GravityGirl
A copper pipe has an inside diameter of 6.720 cm and an outside diameter of 8.000 cm. What length of this copper pipe will have a resistance of 8.05 × 10-3 W?

so i am using the equation R=rho(L/A)

A=pi(d2-d1)^2/4 which is 1.29E-4 m

and for copper rho is 1.7E-8

so 8.05E-3=(1.7E-8)(L/1.29E-4)

then L=60.93 m

but this isn't right.

please help me where i am going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the funny area formula? Don't you want pi*r2^2-pi*r1^2 where r's are the radii?

well i was just going to use the diameter...but i recalcualted te area using the radius instead and i came up with the same value

But (d2-d1)^2 is not equal to d2^2-d1^2.

so what did you get for the area...i still get 1.29E-4 m

0.00147 m^2. Throw out that formula and subtract the area of the two circles!

ok ok...i will do that

What is copper wire resistance?

Copper wire resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for an electric current to flow through a copper wire. It is caused by the collisions of electrons with the atoms of the wire material.

How is copper wire resistance measured?

Copper wire resistance is measured in ohms (Ω) using a multimeter or other electrical testing equipment. The resistance of a wire can also be calculated by dividing the voltage by the current.

What factors affect the resistance of copper wire?

The resistance of copper wire is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and temperature. A longer wire will have a higher resistance, while a thicker wire will have a lower resistance. As the temperature of the wire increases, its resistance also increases.

Why is copper commonly used for electrical wiring?

Copper is commonly used for electrical wiring because it is a highly conductive metal, meaning it allows electricity to flow through it easily. It is also readily available, cost-effective, and has good resistance to corrosion.

How does temperature affect the resistance of copper wire?

The resistance of copper wire increases as the temperature increases. This is because as the temperature rises, the atoms in the wire vibrate more, making it more difficult for electrons to pass through, thus increasing the wire's resistance.