What is the exact value of b when arg z = 60 degrees?

In summary, Hurkyl was trying to find the exact value of the tangent of 60 degrees, but he was stuck and went with the sin(60) instead.
matadorqk

Homework Statement

Given that [tex]z=(b+i)^2[/tex] where b is real and positive, find the exact value of b when arg z = 60 degrees.

Homework Equations

z=a+bi
[tex] arg z=arg tan \frac {b}{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I expanded my [tex]z=(b+i)^{2}[/tex] so its
[tex]z=b^{2}-1+2bi[/tex]

On other terms (please note the b here equals 2b, as it is the imaginary part, not the actual b)
so [tex]tan^{-1}\frac {b}{a}=60[/tex]

[tex]tan60=\frac {b}{a}[/tex]

[tex]atan60=b[/tex]

**Dont get confused,
[tex]a=b^{2}-1[/tex]

[tex]b=2b[/tex]

Therefore, [tex](b^{2}-1)tan60=2b[/tex]

Here is where I am sort of confused, what now?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's good practice not to use the same letter for different purposes. We have 26 letters, two cases, and several styles to use... and that's just with one alphabet!

Anyways, you have a polynomial equation in one variable, don't you? I don't understand why you're stuck. (And don't you know the exact value of the tangent of 60 degrees?)

Hurkyl said:
It's good practice not to use the same letter for different purposes. We have 26 letters, two cases, and several styles to use... and that's just with one alphabet!Anyways, you have a polynomial equation in one variable, don't you? I don't understand why you're stuck. (And don't you know the exact value of the tangent of 60 degrees?)

Ack, your right, stupid me :P.
So, 1.73...b^2-2b-1.73..=0
b=1.732
b=-0.577

I plotted both in, -0.577 doesn't work.
So my final answer, b=1.732

Last edited:
Notice that Hurkyl said "don't you know the exact value of the tangent of 60 degrees?"

Is there a reason for using the approximate value 1.732, rather than the exact value [itex]\sqrt{3}/2[/itex]?

Your problem did say "find the exact value of b."

I think you'll find the exact value of tan 60 is sqrt(3) not sqrt(3)/2

Thanks. Went with sin(60) instead of tan(60).

1. What are complex numbers and why do we need to study them?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (sqrt(-1)). We need to study complex numbers because they allow us to solve equations that cannot be solved with only real numbers, and they have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do we perform operations with complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, we simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, we use the distributive property and the fact that i^2 = -1. To divide complex numbers, we use the conjugate of the denominator to rationalize the fraction.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of complex numbers?

Complex numbers can be represented on a complex plane, with the real part being the x-coordinate and the imaginary part being the y-coordinate. The absolute value (magnitude) of a complex number represents its distance from the origin, and the argument (angle) represents its direction from the positive real axis.

4. How do we solve complex number equations?

To solve complex number equations, we use the same methods as we would with real number equations. We can use the properties of complex numbers to simplify the equations and then use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable. We also need to be careful to check for any extraneous solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of complex numbers?

Complex numbers have many applications in the real world, such as in electrical engineering for analyzing AC circuits, in physics for describing wave phenomena, in economics for modeling economic systems, and in computer graphics for creating 3D objects. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and fluid dynamics.